Advice For Double Barreled Tiers?

Decorating By SweetDreams98 Updated 1 Oct 2014 , 6:23pm by SweetDreams98

SweetDreams98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams98 Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 9

So I will be doing a cake that is 12" - 8" (this tier is ruffled, if it wasn't ruffled it would be a 9")- 6" and I plan to do the 12" and 6" tiers double barreled and covered in ganache, then fondant.  I know with double barreled tiers you do 3 layers, frost the top and add supports, cake board and your other 3 layers and then frost the entire cake as if it were one cake. 

This will be my first time using ganache under fondant (and my first time doing double barreled tiers) and I am concerned about seeing a line from the board between layer 3 and 4.  I know to use the edge of the board as a guide for the frosting, I feel like I am maybe over thinking this but I really want a flawless finish for the fondant.

The decorations on these tiers is very simple, I'm using Cake Lace (the Serenity mat) and a pearl boarder around the bottom.  Any tips are more than welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

8 replies
SweetDreams98 Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 9

Or instead of using 2 - 12" cake boards and 2 - 6" cake boards should I be using 1 - 12" cake board, 1 - 10" cake board; 1 - 6" cakeboard and cutting approx a 4" cake board?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 9

most cakes shrink a half inch in the oven so you'll want to cut your board for that inner section about an inch smaller -- so for the 6" you cut a 5" board or just measure your cake after it comes out of your oven and cut it a quarter of an inch smaller all the way around--

so use an 11" and a 5"

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 9

AI agree with K8, I use a board one inch smaller inside double or triple barrelled tiers, so 11" and 5" for you.

SweetDreams98 Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 9

Awesome!  I have already started my Cake Lace (which I LOVE) and I'm going to get the roses done this week.  I posted before, it's my wedding so this customer has high standards haha  I'm actually really excited that I finally get to do a wedding cake exactly how I want it :)

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 9

All the very best to you.....and your picky customer x

SweetDreams98 Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 9

AThank you cakebaby!

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 9

Just to make sure, you are putting dowels/straws/supports under the boards...

SweetDreams98 Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 9

AI was definitely planning on that :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%