Friday Night Cake Club For 9-26-14

Decorating By catlharper Updated 1 Oct 2014 , 2:34am by Inga1

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 1:13am
post #31 of 44

AJust remember: the best weapon to use for getting rid of a zombie is a tall glass.

Ellie Sunshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie Sunshine Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 1:31am
post #32 of 44

Wow! Loving all the zombie / graveyard cakes this week.

I think it's only fitting that I post my creepy cake too. This one was created for a massively talented special effects makeup artist who loves anything with gore & Freddy Krueger (Nightmare on Elm St)..  this is what I came up with!

It might be a little too early for Halloween for some but not for a special effects makeup artist! I absolutely loved designing and creating this Nightmare on Elm Street cake! Everything including the nightmare claw is edible.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 8:02pm
post #33 of 44

Amazing cakes everyone!  The zombie and Freddy cakes are disturbingly good.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 8:44pm
post #34 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellie Sunshine 

It might be a little too early for Halloween for some but not for a special effects makeup artist! I absolutely loved designing and creating this Nightmare on Elm Street cake! Everything including the nightmare claw is edible.

@Ellie Sunshine the cake is frightening and perfect for the holidays!  The happy birthday sign is really great, that's the part that I love.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 2:53pm
post #35 of 44

Hi Everyone! Great to come back in and see even MORE spooky cakes! How much fun considering the season! LOL!

The reason I'm back tho' is to see if any of the Pro-cakers are near Macon Georgia? I have had a request from someone there and would love to recommend someone I "know".

Thanks!

Cat

triSARAtops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
triSARAtops Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 9:23pm
post #36 of 44

A[@]Inga1[/@] what a precious cake! I'm going to have to look into this Mat situation. ;)

[@]mattyeatscakes[/@] I do the same with family and friend birthdays. I'm self taught and every opportunity I get to make a cake is just another learning experience. Love the Mickey cake, you do great work! :D

[@]hbquikcomjamesl[/@] I am a graphic designer for a large print company, so after spending some time downstairs at the presses today, your cake made me smile. Very cool! :)

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 9:28pm
post #37 of 44
Quote:
@hbquikcomjamesl I am a graphic designer for a large print company, so after spending some time downstairs at the presses today, your cake made me smile. Very cool! icon_smile.gif

Of course, most of the people on this board have probably never seen a composing stick before, and certainly haven't spent time shoving foundry (and/or wood) type into one. And probably don't know the two reasons why the type goes into a stick upside down, left-to-right, instead of right side up, right to left.

(1. something that's inherently wrong-reading is easier for most people to read if they read it upside down, and 2. if you set the type upside down, you can usually get 3-5 lines into the stick before you have to transfer it to a galley, whereas if you set it right side up, you have to stop and transfer each line.)

triSARAtops Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 9:35pm
post #38 of 44

A[@]megpi[/@] All of your cakes are beyond gorgeous, but the stained glass cake is breathtaking. Love it!

[@]shellbell181[/@] wow! The details are amazing on this cake! What great work you do! :)

[@]Naivohw[/@] your zombie cake makes me giggle because my very conservative grandmother used to make all the granddaughters "doll cakes." I'm trying to envision her creating one like this. So funny! Great job!

[@]Ellie Sunshine[/@] as a huge fan of Halloween and Freddy Krueger I adore this cake! Sooo awesome!!!

triSARAtops Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 9:46pm
post #39 of 44

AI am a late poster. It was such a busy weekend celebrating my niece's 13th birthday and my upcoming 29th :( birthday. This is the cake she requested for her birthday, so this is what she got. I'm no master of smoothing buttercream, which was frustrating to me during the process of decorating this cake. I also accompanied the cake with 2 dozen cupcakes 12 of which I decided to add fondant balloons as an after thought. As I was walking out the door I lost my footing and the cupcakes. :( The plain dozen were, luckily, unscathed so I just sick the balloons in those instead. The cake is just buttercream and chocolate. It's not perfect, but the princess seemed to love it so that's all that matters. :)

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3290277/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3290279/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3290280/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3290281/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 11:27pm
post #40 of 44

Hmm. A lovely concept, and very well executed. How did you make the bicycle?

The slight irregularities in the BC (I'd call them "trowel-marks' if it were one of my own cakes), if anything, actually make the sky look more realistic: like there are a few thin stratus and/or cirrus clouds as well as the cottony masses of cumulus clouds. Only the clearest of skies are completely without texture.

So don't sweat being "no master of smoothing buttercream"; probably not that many of the people on this board are (and I know I'm not; there are plenty of trowel marks in Gary's retirement cake, and it only has one surface frosted!). You did fine, and your niece loved it; that's all that matters.

triSARAtops Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 11:31pm
post #41 of 44

A[@]hbquikcomjamesl[/@] thank you for the kind words! The bicycle was made from melted chocolate candies that we piped onto a bike stencil.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 11:44pm
post #42 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl  Of course, most of the people on this board have probably never seen a composing stick before,........

I've seen them in museums. It's actually quite interesting, looking at printing presses and type.

Quote:

Originally Posted by triSARAtops 
 It's not perfect, but the princess seemed to love it so that's all that matters. icon_smile.gif

Yes, Yes and Yes you are absolutely correct.  When it brings happiness and joy to your celebration especially when it tastes food........you have reason to be pleased.  Love the bicycle.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 12:16am
post #43 of 44

Yes, I found plenty of faults with Gary's retirement cake -- that I ended up using "Betty Crocker Writing Gel" instead of buying the appropriate colors and making up gray and black BC, that the stick was a piped outline when I could have troweled in some gray, or had some edible printing done, that the tube of writing gel wasn't as fine as my finest piping tip, and so the piping was even coarser than my piping usually is, &c., &c.

But the bottom line for me is that it was a hit at the party, and the bottom line for "triSARAtops," and the bottom line for everybody else here is that the recipient(s) loved it.

That's why we do what we do, after all. Think about it: we're making works of art that are designed to be eaten. Works of art that will get eaten by mold or vermin, if nobody else gets to them first. If it's not made with love, and it doesn't get a reaction of love, why bother, when cleaning out stables for a living would probably be easier (and we wouldn't have to take as much equine scat).

Inga1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inga1 Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 2:34am
post #44 of 44

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%