Live Baby's Breath

Decorating By oxyjenandtonic Updated 25 Sep 2014 , 3:27pm by -K8memphis

oxyjenandtonic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oxyjenandtonic Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a wedding cake for next weekend and will be using live baby's breath.  I am just looking for tips and tricks to make sure I use it properly since I have not used live flowers before.  It won't be much but will be used at the corner of a square cake.  Thanks!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 5

i would just apply it as last minute as possible so it doesn't wimp out -- i think it is fairly hardy -- i don't think it can go overnight without water -- i'm not a flower expert but i'm just thinking of bouquets i've gotten where if one stem is too short to hit the water it shows overnight or so --

i often make baby's breath for my cakes -- 

-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 5

at the corner of a square, the border or on top or up the edge?  stuck into what medium? or how are you attaching it? or is that your question?

oxyjenandtonic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oxyjenandtonic Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 5

It will be a buttercream cake.  Two tiered.  Some of it will probably rest on the board but some of it will be on top of the bottom tier.  What is the best way to attach it?  It will probably be small sprigs.  I would have opted to make them but the bride wanted live.  

-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 5

well with baby's breath there's no where to turn to no where to hide -- it's so see through and i'd dare say it's possibly treated with formaldehyde to stay fresh -- i love it dearly but not on my food -- for example with roses -- you can place them in a blob of buttercream to be removed later or insert the stem into a straw to be closed up on one end and then inserted but baby's breath is so transparent -- 

if you could layer something between the icing and the stems-- would be a good way -- a piece of grease proof paper lace -- or a thin bit of fondant/parchment then ice over with buttercream so it's invisible and have the servers remove it -- maybe something like that --

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%