Where Did This Recipe Come From?

Baking By dukeswalker Updated 22 Sep 2014 , 1:26am by craftybanana

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 7

http://www.cakecentral.com/t/763926/in-need-of-a-dense-heavy-vanilla-cake-cupcake-recipe#post_7445738

I tried this recipe the other day and it was almost perfect. I was hoping to find where it oirginated to see if anyone else experienced the same things I did.  Any ideas?

TIA

:)

6 replies
vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 7

AI lost this recipe and have been searching for it for over a month! Thank you for this link. I have only baked rounds with this not cupcakes but I would have issues with the center not getting good done and the edges too brown. I didn't preheat to 400 but put it straight into 325 and it worked fine.

dukeswalker Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by vldutoit 

I lost this recipe and have been searching for it for over a month! Thank you for this link. I have only baked rounds with this not cupcakes but I would have issues with the center not getting good done and the edges too brown. I didn't preheat to 400 but put it straight into 325 and it worked fine.

Awesome!  It is soooo yummy.  My kids were going nuts over them and I think they will be perfect to fill with some delicious caramel.  

That was the issue I was having - too done outside not done enough center (with very little dome) - I'll try the 400/325 trick.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 3:19am
post #4 of 7

"1700s - The Pound Cake is a British creation that dates back to the early 1700s."

from this interesting article............

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Cakes/PoundCake.htm

dukeswalker Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 4:24am
post #5 of 7

Thank you MB!  That little bit helped immensely.  I wasn't thinking "pound cake" because I've never added a leavening to mine.  But with your bit o' wisdom I was able to find the original recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/mamas-pound-cake-recipe.html

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 6:32am
post #6 of 7

Then @MimiFix was spot-on in the other thread, as she said it was a southern recipe that was traditionally baked in a bundt pan.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 1:26am
post #7 of 7

I love this recipe for cupcakes, paired with some coconut icing.. mmmmm. When I baked it in my loaf pan, the top browned quicker than I expected, but not really so with my cupcakes. I did notice that the cupcakes shrunk a lot after they came out though, I think that's common with pound cakes. The tops did not dome (if that's something you're looking for). I have a favorite recipe for cupcakes now, but I love the flavor combo of this recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%