Use Cake Boards On Dummy Cakes Going On Real Cake?

Decorating By BJ Updated 22 Sep 2014 , 8:05pm by BJ

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 5

AI'm making a 5 tiered wedding cake and the middle 3 will be dummy cakes. Do you attached the cake dummy to a regular cake board before covering in fondant? I would think yes if it's going on top of a real cake but would like some experienced answers as this is a first for me (using dummy cakes). Also, to keep the height consistent throughout - should I then attach all dummies to cake boards? Also - how many dowels in the bottom (real) cake should I use? It is a 14" base cake. Thanks in advance!

4 replies
Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 5

Definite on using cake boards between real cake & dummies.  How many dowels I'm not sure

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 5

AYes use cake boards on your dummy cakes..bottom tier.. 3 dowels. One in the middle, one on either side....

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ 

Do you attached the cake dummy to a regular cake board before covering in fondant?
Also, to keep the height consistent throughout - should I then attach all dummies to cake boards?
Also - how many dowels in the bottom (real) cake should I use? It is a 14" base cake.

Good advice about using cake board under dummy going on top of real cake (prevents dummy from being pierced by support system).  It isn't necessary to use cake boards under dummies stacked on dummies since they don't require internal supports (don't worry about any height difference--it's miniscule and won't show).

If a 12" is going on the 14", 4 or 5 poly dowels are enough-- 6 or 7 skinny wooden dowels are enough.

(Bad advice on 3 dowels in a row--that doesn't offer any support if the entire cake has to balance on one line of a support system.)

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 5

AThank you very much for your help and advice!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%