Fondant + Humidity = Ticino Tropic ??

Decorating By jessicake Updated 18 Sep 2014 , 1:03pm by jessicake

jessicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicake Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 2

I live on the coast and it is VERY humid.  I've recently discovered Carma Massa Ticino Tropic and thought it was going to be a total game changer for me.  But now I'm not so sure.  My only other fondant experience was using Albert Uster Massa Americana.  The Tropic is softer and stretchy, much easier to roll and I don't have to worry much about tearing or cracking.  BUT it is more sheer, dries much slower, and does not seem to appreciate spending time in the refrigerator (sticky gloopy mess, anyone?).  

The Tropic has a LARGE fan club.  Given my limited overall fondant experience, I want to ask:  What is this fondant not doing that makes it so much better for humid climates.  

I use "The Mat" to roll and apply fondant, which I think promotes some stickiness, but saves me from crusting and cracking, and especially from dust and lint in a busy kitchen.  However, I think this gives me less working time as my cold buttercream starts to sweat, my already moist fondant gets sticky quickly, but usually the fondant will dry to the touch in an hour or two.  Yesterday (probably close to 100% humidity) my fondant did not dry.  It got more and more sticky, even sitting in air-conditioning for several hours.  I cannot smooth out air bulges or small wrinkles or do any real fine tuning in this situation.  

Experienced fondant cakers:  please share some wisdom!!  Humidity is a fact of life for those of us near the coast.  I'd value any information on how others deal with the inherent problems.  

Thank you!

1 reply
jessicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicake Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 2

I was reeeaaaalllly hoping for some insight on working with humidity.  Anyone? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%