Chocolate Covered Oreos

Decorating By Raymis Updated 20 Dec 2014 , 3:16pm by -K8memphis

Raymis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raymis Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 1:31am
post #1 of 24

AHi, I made chocolate covered Oreos today using bakers chocolate. They turned out great....at first. I took them out of the molds and I put them on parchment paper because I didn't have time to put them right away in an airtight container and now when I picked them up to put them in a container they were very tacky and I was leaving finger prints in the side. Should I have waited longer before handling them? They were left out for a few hours and now the chocolate is starting to change color. Can someone please help I don't know what I am doing wrong. Thank you!

I wanted to make some for my son's baptism and put them in a box with an oreo tray and now I'm worried because of what has happened.

23 replies
bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 2:12am
post #2 of 24

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3285017/width/200/height/400[/IMG] I made these for my daughters bridal shower. I used candy melts instead of actual chocolate and had no issues. I actually made them a week in advance and stored them in an airtight container.

Raymis Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 2:28am
post #3 of 24

AWow, they look beautiful! I will try using candy melts next time. Thank you for your response!!

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 3:10am
post #4 of 24

AThank you! They were really easy and I used fondant to make the "R"

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 5:15am
post #5 of 24
Welcome to the forum!  I LOVE making chocolate oreo's because they are so impressive and everybody raves about the taste.  You can view the ones I've made on my shutterfly site:

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/216

BEST molds:  http://shop.spinningleaf.com/default.asp               

(yes, they are expensive, but they are worth every cent!   You can use the tutorial on this site for any type of cookie molds)

OK molds:  CK product cookie molds:    https://www.ckproducts.com/categories/1224/Cookie-Molds

Barely passable until you get better molds:  Wilton cookie molds  (these are really stupid molds because they don't allow enough space to enrobe the entire Oreo.)

http://search.wilton.com/?cat1=Candy+Shop&cat2=Candy+Molds&cat3=Cookie+Candy+Molds&i=1&type=products&u1=type&u2=cat1&u3=cat2&u4=cat3

You need to use candy melts, NOT baker's chocolate which is REAL chocolate.   REAL chocolate (Baker's) has cocoa butter and needs to be tempered.  If REAL chocolate is not tempered correctly (a VERY finicky process), they will be dull looking, and may "bloom" with  whitish patches when they come to room temperature.  They are also VERY melt-able and will show fingerprints.  Candy Melts (also called confectionery chocolate and several other names), are ideal for chocolate covered Oreos. 

BEST candy melts:  Merckens or Guittard A'Peels (available online or at a specialty cake/candy supply store)

GOOD candy melts:  Wilton candy melts (available at craft stores, be sure and use a coupon)

Something else I always recommend:  Paramount Crystals (to thin your candy melts to the proper consistency)   Available online or at specialty cake/candy supply stores)

If you only use the Wilton products, you can use a teaspoon of Crisco to thin your candy melts if needed.

NOTE:  Although the manufacturer's will show finely detailed pictures of molds with different colors of chocolate, this is very misleading!  (Spinning Leaf is especially guilty of this...)  Sure, it can be done, but you'll be spending an hour on each cookie.  I strongly suggest you use only one color of candy melt per cookie.  Your guests will still be super impressed. 

These will store in a Tupperware type container at room temperature (DO NOT FRIG or FREEZE!) for a month and will still taste fresh and crispy if you have completely enrobed the cookie with chocolate.  If you have to use the Wilton molds, you've only got a day or two.

Feel free to send me a PM if you need/want more information.

cait1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cait1219 Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 24

Wow Apti your pictures are fantastic!  Thanks for posting the link to the cookie molds!

Apti Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 24

You're most welcome, cait1219. 

I've been a hobby baker (don't sell--just give stuff away for free because it is fun) since early 2010.  My city has a wholesale bakery supply company nearby that very graciously allows sales to hobby bakers.  I am able to purchase a 25 lb. box of dark chocolate Guittard A'Peels at wholesale pricing, without the shipping charges.  This is the main reason that I have grown to love playing with chocolate, for me it is relatively inexpensive to purchase the "good stuff". 

As time has gone on, I find again and again that goodies made with chocolate pack the biggest "bang for your buck".  People are SO impressed and have no idea how much easier chocolate goodies are than a piped or fondant decorated cake or cookie. 

Playing with chocolate is super fun!

Raymis Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 24

AWow!!! Thank you for all the help and the pictures are amazing!!!! I appreciate all your feedback, thank you all!!! :-)

Raymis Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 24

AI feel foolish for purchasing so many Wilton molds over the years and I have been buying the same molds from spinningleaf.com from etsy.com for a fraction of the cost. Here is a picture of the ones I just made, bit I will be remaking them before I go meet my friends new daughter. [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3285312/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 24

I just looked at their site and put in the dog paw mold (we are fund raising for a new dog  park) and the shipping came up zero.  Is shipping included in the mold cost with no additional added?

Apti Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 24

denetteb~~Shipping is usually around $6-$7 depending on the order.  I would verify the order.   I just did a pretend order for 1 mold and shipping was $6.40.

Raymis~~Cute cookies!  Don't feel bad about the Wilton molds, I did exactly the same thing.   I still have quite a few of the Wilton cookie molds still in the brand new packaging.  They make great gifts for children who can use them for play-doh.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 24

I use Ghirardelli Melting Wafers the taste far surpasses Wilton's Candy Melts.  They come in a dark and white chocolate.  Sam's will have them in the 2 lbs bags very soon.  They carry it seasonally. 

I promise you won't be disappointed.

As for the fingerprints.  Let them get to room temp and use the foodhandlers poly gloves.

Cakeymom

anamarlosweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamarlosweet Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 5:31am
post #13 of 24

AI am having a really hard time with my cookie molds. The coating is either sticking to the mold, especially where I have two colors layered on top and the cookie pops out dull and not shiny because of lines left on the surface. What am I doing wrong? I have been putting these in the fridge to cool/ harden, maybe that is the problem?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 7:00am
post #14 of 24

Ai don't make oreos but i make chocolates -- i put them in the freezer to harden -- i set a timer -- sounds like yours are not fully set up -- the choco will be as shiny as the mold -- are your molds scratched up ?

-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 12:54pm
post #15 of 24

i think that the moisture in the cookie holds the chocolate hostage in the fridge because i've heard of this messiness happening before -- so if you freeze it even if the cookie is not frozen solid the choco will get the blast it needs to make it work for you -- snap them out of the pan right away -- don't wait

anamarlosweet Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 4:53pm
post #16 of 24

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3314506/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

This is what's happening...should I be using some kind of nonstick spray?

-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 5:03pm
post #17 of 24

is your chocolate out of temper? how hot is it when you pour it? is there residue in your molds? how do you clean your molds?

no, you don't need spray

denetteb Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 6:18pm
post #18 of 24

They don't look like they are sticking since they look nice and smooth.

Apti Posted 19 Dec 2014 , 4:48am
post #19 of 24

anamarlosweet~~Those look fine.  I think you are expecting "commercial perfection" from a homemade product.

If you have purchased linen, you will find a saying, "this is a natural fabric and the minor imperfections are a reflection of that natural fabric" (in other words, it's a good thing).

We don't know what kind of "chocolate" you are using.  Different types of candy melts produce different results.  If you are using "real" chocolate with cocoa butter, that is a whole, new, learning curve with many outcomes possible.

The photo (thanks for providing that, by the way!) shows that the chocolate has completely "set" before it is removed from the mold.  That's a good thing.  DO NOT use non-stick spray!  Do NOT wash the molds.  DO rinse the excess chocolate from the molds with very hot (NOT boiling) water and let them air dry upside down.  The shiny-smooth-interior of a chocolate mold must never, ever be disturbed with a cleaning pad or you will get results like the photo below.  If you MUST dry the mold with a towel, I recommend a super-soft paper towel like VIVA and just "blot" the spots.  Best way is to let the mold air-dry.

Here is a photo from a demonstration done in San Diego to illustrate some of the trouble-shooting needed for chocolate covered Oreos.  This is a photo of a chocolate oreo taken from a Spinning Leaf mold BEFORE the chocolate had "set" up properly.  There would have been shiny spots on the mold when viewed from beneath OR there was some residual chocolate film from a previous use of the mold.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Dec 2014 , 4:52am
post #20 of 24

ummm . . . what's wrong with the ones in the first pic?  They look fine.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Dec 2014 , 4:53am
post #21 of 24

Oh - you mean that sort of swirly-ness?  buff out the mold with a cotton ball and be careful the chocolate's not too hot.

anamarlosweet Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 2:53pm
post #22 of 24

AThanks everyone! I used Wilton candy melts. Yes I am referring to the swirl that comes from the top sort of sticking to the plastic when you push it out. I may be expecting perfection, but a lot of the pictures I have seen these appear much for shiny without those swirls on the top. I wondered about the "tempering" issue but not sure of that applies to candy melts. I don't know how to temper nor do I have a candy thermometer. I should probably invest in one. My molds are brand new and not scratched.

denetteb Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 3:13pm
post #23 of 24

Candy melts don't need to be tempered, only chocolate.  Candy thermometers aren't that expensive if you want to try.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 3:16pm
post #24 of 24

candy melts are already in temper -- no worries there however -- be sure to melt them -- working with chocolates means it's all time sensitive -- let it melt don't jack up the temp

your chocolates will be as shiny as your mold so yes as leah suggests buff them out nice & pretty --

i don't have my glasses on so pls forgive typos

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%