Low Fat Buttermilk?

Baking By es329 Updated 15 Sep 2014 , 4:19pm by -K8memphis

es329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
es329 Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 13

AI accidentally bought low fat buttermilk and need buttermilk in a recipe. Can I use the low fat or do I need to go by the regular buttermilk?

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 13

Ano it will work

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 13

@es329 I've rarely even found full fat buttermilk in my stores.  Most of the time there's one or two cartons of low-fat so that's all I've been able to use in recipes. 

-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 13

i've read that others say the buttermilk powder is good --

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 13

AI never but buttermilk. I either use buttermilk powder, if I have it, but usually, I just sour regular milk with a couple if tsps of vinegar or lemon juice. Easier, and always have on hand... :)

-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 13

that's a reliable substitute that i also use sometimes -- but real buttermilk and buttermilk powder -- not cultured milk -- has phospholipids that make fats and water mix well that enhances cake making because it rocks the emulsion -- 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 13

AIt absolutely will work just fine, I can't remember the last time I even saw full fat buttermilk for sale. I bake every week with buttermilk, and my cakes are juuuuust fine.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 13

real buttermilk is available here in elvistown around the holidays

CherriesonTop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherriesonTop Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 13

I always use low fat buttermilk, no worries :)

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 13

Authentic buttermilk is low fat by nature.  It is the liquid that is leftover when you make butter, thus the name (most of the fat stayed with the butter), I believe that it is allowed to ferment so that's why it's tangy. 

The stuff we buy in grocery stores is a cultured buttermilk.  It's not made the old fashion way.  Instead they take regular milk add enzymes or a culture to it and let it ferment.  We sort of mimic that when we add vinegar to milk. 

In an attempt to make it more like the authentic stuff, they use lowfat milk.  When whole milk is used, then you get the full fat buttermilk.  For baking, I think the reason we use buttermilk is more for the acid rather than the fat (though I must say, I do love fat).  In any event, the low fat buttermilk is probably what you want to use.  Hope this helps.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 1:50pm
post #11 of 13

when i was a kid buttermilk was flecked with yellow butter -- thick white liquid speckled with a lot of butter-- most of the stuff we buy today is not really buttermilk and should be called cultured milk

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 13

AI have found full fat buttermilk at Whole Foods. I can't say I've noticed a difference in cakes as I haven't done a close comparison but I do see a difference in pancakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%