Buttercream Cracks

Decorating By rebew10 Updated 9 Sep 2014 , 10:46pm by kakeladi

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 5

Help!!  Anyone know why I would get horizontal cracking in my buttercream? 

4 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 5

Is your cake on a flimsy cake board? That would make it crack as you pick it up/move it around.

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 5

AI put it on a cardboard cake board which in turn is put on a piece of foam board.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayti 

Is your cake on a flimsy cake board? That would make it crack as you pick it up/move it around.

I agree with this. The very first cake that I made was on just a single cardboard round, and even though my hands were underneath it when I picked it up, it cracked. So now I make sure to use a sturdier presentation base. Whether it be several cardboard rounds glued together, or a cake drum.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 5

Besides needing better base support your icing recipe could be contributing to the problem.

Without know you recipe I suggest you add some more fat (be it shortening, butter or other) and make the icing a bit more creamy. 

Try this one:  2 of everything icing
2C butter, softened to room temp
2 C shortening (I always used Crisco)
2 pounds powder sugar
2 Tablespoons flavoring - see note at end

Mix together shortening and butter for 5 minutes; add about 1/3 of the sugar and mix for 5 minutes; repeat until all sugar is incorporated. Add flavoring along w/last batch of sugar.
NOTE: Flavoring is a very personal thing. It can be any that pleases your taste budsicon_smile.gif
I prefer to mix together 1 part vanilla; 1/2 part butter flavor and 1/4 part almond extract.
A "part" can be *any* measure you want - be it teaspoons, Tablespoons, cups or gallonsicon_smile.gif Just be sure to keep the ratio.

this icing does NOT crust. If you want one that does simply reduce the butter and shortening by 1/2 cup (each) OR reduce the shortening by 1 cup OR reduce the butter by 1 cup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%