Tins In Cm...boards Still In Inches...why??

Decorating By Snowflakebunny23 Updated 2 Sep 2014 , 9:38am by Snowflakebunny23

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 8:34am
post #1 of 6

Morning all,

general question now...don't know if it's happening elsewhere in the world but I've noticed that places here in the UK have started to sell cake tins measured in CM - does anyone know why??  I was super excited the other day to see what looked like a 6" sandwich tin in the local shop...but it wasn't, it was 16cm...so wouldn't fit on a 6" board without cutting it down.

Why are shops doing this???  All cake boards are still sold, measured in inches...it's getting very irritating!

Monday morning rant over...

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 10:30am
post #2 of 6

I'll add to this by saying that why don't cake drum manufacturers talk to ribbon manufacturers, to get at least one ribbon/drum width that matches?? I end up with either a gap of silver drum edge seen if ribbon is too narrow, or sticking up over the drum if it's too wide!

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 11:43am
post #3 of 6

AI use a second drum, cleats or adhesive feet under my cake drums which allows for the extra few millimetre thickness of ribbon below the board - I attach the ribbon flush with the top of the fondant cover on the board. It also makes the cakes easier to handle, as there is finger space under the drum.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 6

I'll second all the discussions so far. The U.S. uses inches and I'm glad as I never caught onto the CM stuff. Also hated ribbon did not match up to drums but, thank you for your idea winniemog.  It is a good day... learned something new!  ;-D

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

I use a second drum, cleats or adhesive feet under my cake drums which allows for the extra few millimetre thickness of ribbon below the board - I attach the ribbon flush with the top of the fondant cover on the board. It also makes the cakes easier to handle, as there is finger space under the drum.

I do that for tiered cakes, I use the collars from the SPS columns (read that tip from Leah_S) hot glued underneath as feet, so I can use the wider ribbon and let it overhang if necessary. But for the little cakes I don't bother and end up using a narrower ribbon leaving a couple mm at the bottom of the drum uncovered. I figure that at least it reflects any surface it's on so it kind of blends in :roll:

Snowflake bunny I get my boards and drums from Ryepack UK and will be getting some this week. I hope they haven't changed their measurements...

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 9:38am
post #6 of 6

I think I'll start adding something underneath the board as well...I like the idea of finger space :-)  I tend to buy 15mm ribbon where I can for a 12mm board - I cover all of my boards with fondant so providing I get my fondant about 3mm, then I'm alright.

@Dayti I don't think board measurements have changed, it just seems to be tins for some odd reason.  I've never used Ryepack UK...I've always been a Sugarshack 'gal for my board kit...will investigate :-)

xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%