Royal Icing In Very Humid Refrigerator

Decorating By JoAnnBR Updated 30 Aug 2014 , 3:39pm by -K8memphis

JoAnnBR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnBR Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 4

I have a large cake board that I've flooded with royal icing and piped a royal icing basketweave around the thick edge, which has all dried hard.  I need to build my cake on the stand, but due to the size must store it in a very humid refrigerator, which, in the past has turned fondant into wet paste.  My question is will the hard royal icing be safe, or is there a possibility that it will absorb moisture like fondant does in this environment and turn pasty?

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 4

what i do is employ a working bottom board that i would place onto the royal icing covered one for delivery -- it would be cut almost the same size as the bottom cake because it doesn't sound reasonable or promising to put it in a moisture ridden fridge --

JoAnnBR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnBR Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 4

That's what I was afraid of.  The other problem is that this is a "naked" cake, so anything I put it on will show.  And it's an 18" round, three layer cake, so I'm afraid to try and move it to the stand after it's put together.  I think I'll just wait and put it together about an hour before I have to leave to deliver it, and then it won't have to be in the refrigerator for very long.  Thanks for your input!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 4

it's a whopper -- you gotta good plan though -- cause with a working board you have to cover it up with icing or something and 'naked' won't work  -- i like your plan -- sounds good

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%