Freezing Decorated Cakes

Decorating By jelinskij Updated 29 Aug 2014 , 3:29am by kakeladi

jelinskij Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelinskij Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a black forest cake for Sat. It will be frosted with whipped cream and filled with cherry filling.  It is going to a restaurant for a party and it is very hot here. Can I freeze it for transporting or does anyone have a good idea.

4 replies
CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 5

I have never frozen a decorated cake, but I've read from and gotten advice from others on here.  They say to put it in the cake box, cover it very well with foil, and then cover the foil with saran wrap.  They say when you take it out of the freezer to let the saran wrap and foil on the box until completely thawed, because this will catch the condensation and not the cake.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 5
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 2:40am
post #4 of 5

It needs to be the proper temp for serving.  If it is frozen for delivery it likely will still be frozen when they are ready to eat.  Having it refrigerated and nice and cold for the delivery would be a much better option.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 3:29am
post #5 of 5

Actually it probably will depend on what cherry filling you use.   If you use the sleeved; jam or a can of pie filling you will be good to go.

As for how fast it might thaw - that will depend on the size of the cake.  If it is 10" round or less it should thaw in about 1 hour.  Anything larger of course will take much longer at the very center.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%