Syrup For Chocolate Cake

Baking By lillyanne Updated 28 Aug 2014 , 12:44pm by -K8memphis

lillyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillyanne Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 6

AHii was wondering what flavour simple syrup most people use on their chocolate cakes to add that extra bit of moisture and boost the flavour? Iv read that some people use kahula but im afraid that it will leave a strong coffee taste. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thank you

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 6

i've used godiva chocolate liqueur, grand marnier, southern comfort, jack daniels, dark/light rum, coconut rum, etc.

i like coffee flavor injected into chocolate -- you might to try some triple sec in there to orange-ify it and tone it -- chocolate + coffee + orange is ridiculous -- 

best to you

lillyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillyanne Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 7:01am
post #3 of 6

AI should have said that I still want just a chocolate flavoured cake and not eg a chocolate orange or mocha cake. Thank you K8 :)

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 8:29am
post #4 of 6

AYou can just use an unflavoured simple syrup which won't interfere with the flavour of your cake, or if you want a chocolate-flavoured liqueur, you could use creme de cacao - mmm, now I want a cocktail!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 11:47am
post #5 of 6

AI see what you mean but that little bit of flavor becomes a nuance -- it does not become a strong flavor of the cake unless you use too much in which case the cake would be mushy-- it's a flavor enhancer/elevation -- so winniemog has some great ideas and to add to that -- use vanilla or almond or butter flavor oil, cream cheese oil, etc.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 6

and you control the amount of flavor too -- make it real mild if you want

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%