Paint Splatter Cakes

Decorating By cakechic87 Updated 18 Aug 2014 , 2:47pm by TheCakeNovelist

cakechic87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechic87 Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 3

How do you do the paint splatters on this cake? I know you use thinned down Royal Icing, but what do you use to "splatter" the cake with? A fork, spatula, something else? Also, how much water do you use to thin down your royal icing to do this? I've only ever used stiff consistency RI to make roses & other flowers using the wilton recipe.

Here is the photo of the cake...

http://cakesdecor.com/cakes/9265

2 replies
FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 3

If you do a search using the box in the top right of your screen, you will find quite a few threads on this.  Here is one to get you started.  http://www.cakecentral.com/t/670859/creating-a-paint-splatter-effect

TheCakeNovelist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeNovelist Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 3

I did a splatter cake a few years ago, and I used RI thinned to flooding consistency and a spoon to throw it on--just dip the spoon until the icing ribbons off and sort of whip it back and forth over the surface of the cake. You don't want to be too close, because then you'll get blobs. The icing needs to be quite thin, not watery, but close, think acrylic paint consistency.

A word of warning--it goes everywhere. I put the cake on a big piece of cardboard and made a triptych around it with three sides of a box. That also lets you go a bit wilder with your splattering.

Honestly, this is a fun technique. That was one of my very first cakes, and I definitely had some issues--my splatters were on the thick side, I was too close to the cake for some of them, and my fondant bands were all wrong--I'm not sure if it's in my gallery, but here's a pic:

(It wasn't for a 106 year old, although that would be awesome :) I made this as a gift for my friend's daughters who share a close birthday--one was turning 10 and the other 6--the 6 was set further back, but you can't really tell from the front.)

Aside from using a lot of bowls to mix your colors, this really isn't too much of a headache. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%