Ribbon On Whipped Cream Icing?

Decorating By es329 Updated 19 Aug 2014 , 3:19am by HamSquad

es329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
es329 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 6:59am
post #1 of 6

ACan ribbon be used on a cake with whipped cream icing? And can you use any brand of ribbon or is there a kind that is better to use?

Thanks in advance.

5 replies
ugcjill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ugcjill Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 6

Moisture and oil will discolor nearly any fabric ribbon that touches the icing, and often they will bleed dye onto the cake. People have had success lining the ribbon with plastic wrap or wax paper, but I haven't had that work for me. Some pre-saturate ribbon to discolor it evenly, but then there is the dye issue.

There are some ribbons in the floral section that will not take up oil or moisture, metallics usually.

You can make a fondant ribbon in the desired color, which will probably have the best results with the most versatility.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 6

AYes, a ribbon can be put on a whipped cream cake. Last Friday I made a wedding cake for Saturday using Rich's Bettercreme frosting and florist ribbon. Before I started, I used cake dummies the size of the cakes I was making for the wedding cake to measure the amt of ribbon I needed for each. I also added an additional 2 inches on the length of the ribbon for over lapping when I attach them together. The cakes and dummies were 1-6 inch and the other 1-10 inch. Next, I made wax paper strips to go on the back of the florist ribbon. I attach the florist ribbon to the wax paper strip with clear double sided tape. Once my cake were frosted and smooth, they were chilled for a couple of hours. Then I added the ribbon like this:

. I used this tutorial for making the border. With whipped cream frosting don't pull too much while adding to prevent messing up your frosting. I hope this helps. There is a picture of the cake in my photos. Feel free to look. If I can do this (my 1st time) so can you! Pam

HamSquad Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 3:33am
post #4 of 6

AHere is a picture of the cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/3274008/a/3505436/

es329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
es329 Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 1:47am
post #5 of 6

AThat's a pretty cake. :) Thank you for your help.

HamSquad Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 3:19am
post #6 of 6

AYou are so very welcome! Thank you es329! Pam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%