Food Law Messing Everything Up!!

Business By AnimalGirl91 Updated 12 Aug 2014 , 8:13pm by BrandisBaked

AnimalGirl91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnimalGirl91 Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 2:53am
post #1 of 8

Hi all!!

Im soon to be opening a Custom Gluten free cake and cupcake business from home. i own a separate commercial kitchen on my premises. However, food laws here in Western Australia say i cant use ANYTHING high risk. which means no cream ad no gnash 8-O

So before i break down and cry, im looking at alternatives for the only 2 high risk foods a use! 

Whipped cream

Chocolate gnash

Worst case, i JUST get the gnash sorted as i NEED to have that. I found a dairy free recipe on-line that uses coconut cream. Will this gnash still set up hard like regular gnash? has anybody tried it? ive looked for a dairy free cream (its an ingredient in a gluten free cook book i have) but Australia sells no such thing 

HALP!!!! 

7 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 3:34am
post #2 of 8

AYou can buy Semper chocolate "ganache" (labeled "milk chocolate truffles") - which might be ok to use.

http://primarque.com/catalog/chocolates/semper.html

AnimalGirl91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnimalGirl91 Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 3:41am
post #3 of 8

thabk you but they only ship to the UK. Im in Australia :( plus its not cheap 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 6:04am
post #4 of 8

Hello - I have tried coconut cream in place of cream in ganache, it seems to work but it also needs to be refrigerated after opening the tin so I imagine it will be subject to the same law that is causing you the issue with the cream.

I don't know if you are able to use butter but if you can I have also used butter to alter the texture of chocolate to give it the same texture as ganache when I have not had any cream so maybe that is an option for you to experiment with.

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 7:59am
post #5 of 8

ADinkydoodle has released a ganache that has a shelf life of 3 months, I'm sure the ship worldwide (not sure of the cost implications of that) but it's a way to get round it.

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 8

Ganache is not high risk product.. infact does not required to be refrigerated! Yes there is cream, but the same quantity (or more depending on the chocolate) of chocolate, so it makes it very stable.

I cannot use anything that need to be in the fridge, so no cream cheese frosting for example, but ganache has been approved by my environment departement.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 3:58am
post #7 of 8

AI've used coconut milk in replace of cream for a ganache recipe for client who was lactose intolerant. It didn't set firm and was oily. Also you can smell the coconut cream a bit or maybe it was just me because i knew i used the coconut cream. Hehe

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 8

AYou can find the semper ganache through other sources - I was just linking to a site that had it so you would know what I was talking about. It's considered stable - and is stored for months at room temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%