Trouble With Ganache Ratio For Callebaut 53% Dark Chocolate

Decorating By SelviS Updated 11 Aug 2014 , 1:24pm by SelviS

SelviS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SelviS Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 5:41am
post #1 of 7

Hello ...I made ganache using the 2:1 ratio,using Callebaut but it came out rather thick- not the usual consistency I get with other brands. I have read in other forums of problems using this ratio for this brand and I wondered whether anyone else had similar problems. What would be the right ratio for Callebaut? Anyone tried 1:1 ratio with this brand?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 9:30am
post #2 of 7

AI use 2:1 for the Callebaut 811 callets which are 53.5%. Never a problem. Could you have overheated the choc or introduced water to the ganache? You sound experienced with ganache making though. Maybe try again. It's really delicious when you get it right. I presume you means it's thick when you combine it. It will set up very firm at room temp and I use it for the coat under my fondant. Just heat the set ganache for 10-20 sec intervals in the microwave before applying it to the cake.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 7

AIf you did not scorch the chocolate, nor introduce water as the pp stated.....did you use the same cream as before? And what % chocolate did you use before that you did like?

SelviS Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 4:24am
post #4 of 7

Thanks..yup used the same cream as before and the previous chocolate used was also a similar ratio (just different brand). I came  across this in a different forum:

" I use only Callebaut and the formula is equal weight of bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate to equal weight heavy cream(or you can replace 25 % of cream with butter). This produces a firm ganache for glazing, fillings and to top brownies. I have found out that when I use the Callebaut calets instead of the block, my ganache is thicker. The calets seems to be a bit more viscous." (http://webfoodpros.com/discus/messages/241/666.html?980460919)

Just not sure which percentage chocolate this was referring to...

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 7

AA store owner once told me that there are different grades of Callebaut. I remember buying some for very cheap and it was a disaster.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 9 Aug 2014 , 5:34am
post #6 of 7

There are definitely different varieties of Callebaut chocolate which have different viscosities and cocoa solids %. if you look at the side of the bag, there is usually a symbol which represents the viscosity of the chocolate (little brown drops).

But the 53.5% chocolate in callets (known as the 811) is fine at 2:1 ratio for ganache.

What temperature was it at when you tried to work with it - when you thought it was too thick?

SelviS Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 7

AIt was cool when I begun ganaching the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%