How Do I Achieve This Effect?

Decorating By beckybakes617 Updated 30 Jul 2014 , 5:36pm by beckybakes617

beckybakes617 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckybakes617 Posted 30 Jul 2014 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 8

It's a Sharon Wee cake, any ideas how to get the wooden flooring 'shabby chic' look with fondant?

7 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 30 Jul 2014 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 8

I wonder if the fondant is a dark grey colour, indented with a fork or some other tool to make the wood grain, then painted over with wide brush with thick paint made with white colouring? That's how I would attempt it. It looks really nice!

Dayti Posted 30 Jul 2014 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 8

You could also try wiping a paper towel over the wet white "paint" to remove some but I think you'd have to be pretty quick to do it before it dried. 

beckybakes617 Posted 30 Jul 2014 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 8

That's what I thought, although I tried it with dark brown painted over with white, gave me quite a glossy finish so may try a paper towel dabbed over it see if that works :-)  

Dayti Posted 30 Jul 2014 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 8

Actually if you look at the very top edge of the drum at the front it is a bit glossy in places, although it could be the photo/lighting. Perhaps you could also try painting with thinned royal icing, instead of food colouring paint? That would dry matte.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 30 Jul 2014 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 8

Ahttp://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JgmmcXDHq1c

I would paint it with white food gel and vodka mixed together then come back and put brown food color gel mixed with vodka and paint the groves and id wipe off the excess brown....you can go over the entire board with a thinned brown mixture and make it look more like wood...just thin out the brown put it on some of the board then take a paper towel and wipe off the excess....id do that in sections because if you do the entire board at once it might dry and you wont get the effect you want.....im giving you a link of how to kinda do what im saying except she doesn't wipe off the brown because she wants it to look like a brown floor, but you kinda get the just of it...hth...

Happy Baking :grin:

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 30 Jul 2014 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 8

AI just watched the video I posted. ..I think id be really careful with the brown gel mixed with vodka..id thin it down quite a bit and go in really small sections and wipe it off right away so it doesn't stay on there most of it should come off...hope this helps more then confusing you... I think Dayti.is right it looks a little glossy to me too but like she said it may be the lighting....hope this helps.....;-)

beckybakes617 Posted 30 Jul 2014 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for your replies, will try again tomorrow :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%