How Do I Do This Cake?!

Decorating By allcupcakedout Updated 4 Mar 2018 , 7:55pm by JWinslow

allcupcakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allcupcakedout Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 30

I've seen the "how to" with this technique before but I can't remember what it is! Does someone have a tutorial? Looks like a simple flower cutter but I'm not sure.

And what would you charge someone to do this on an 8" cake? It's basically 2 layers of fondant.

29 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 30

AIt's flat blossom flowers folded together in on themselves and glued to the side of the fondant covered cake. Not sure how to Google to find it, but look around, you'll find it. I wouldn't sell that, it's too small for my $150 minimum order. I mean if someone really wanted to pay that for an 8 inch round, I'd do it, but doubtful.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 30

It takes forever. Especially if you use smaller cutters. You have to roll the fondant, cut it out with the 5 petal cutter, thin the edges on every petal with your ball tool. Off set 2 on top of each other, swish them together and attach to the cake. Now repeat 70000+ times! ;)  I've done it twice. Once on a 4 tier cake with teeny tiny cutters for an 8" round and the second time was a 7" round with slightly larger cutters. Plan for 3-4 hours of work for 1 tier!!! Start at the bottom and I suggest attaching gum glue instead of water because it gets heavy. It's beautiful, but super time consuming! Good luck!

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 30

AGood Lord!!!! 4 hours!?!?!?

morganchampagne Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 30

AI bow to you lol

sixinarow Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Good Lord!!!! 4 hours!?!?!?

For 1 stinking tier! ;) LOL -- could have used a massage afterwards from being all hunched for that long!

AZCouture Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 30

Quote:

I bow to you lol

NO kidding!! Gah! Oh my word. HUNDREDS of dollars, minimum. Period.

sixinarow Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

NO kidding!! Gah! Oh my word. HUNDREDS of dollars, minimum. Period.

Definitely. It's been the most time consuming technique I've tried. Way worse than scrunch ruffles and billowing! 

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 30

I've done this with large rose cutters on a 10"tier.  At the time I just made a zillion rose petals and put 5 together and twist - Don't do it this way (not practical).  Instead, you can get large all-in-one cutters by Ateco at GSA .  It isn't hard, just tedious.  I sped up the operation by using a pasta machine to make long sheets of fondant to make a ton of petals.  I did not double them like sixinarow because I wanted a more open look.  It also cut the time in half.

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3184833/a/3451378/the-cake-is-9-7-5-inch-fondant-covered-tiers-with-rose-petal-ruffles-fondant-hearts-and-a-fantasy-peony-the-flower-is-gumpaste-and-everything-else-is-fondant-happy-valentines-day-tfl/

Have Fun with it - turn on some tunes and the time will fly :)

morganchampagne Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 30

AMy business manager hates me for this but I turn down stuff like this lol. I just really don't have the patience. I'm trying to change lol! Maybe if I had a movie in or something it would go quicker

AZCouture Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 5:23pm
post #11 of 30

Quote:

I LOVE this. Maybe it's the larger spaces, or the gold edging, but it's just awesome. Yep, that IS a word.

AZCouture Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 5:23pm
post #12 of 30

Annnnnd, it makes me want potato chips. Kettle chips.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 5:46pm
post #13 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWinslow 

I've done this with large rose cutters on a 10"tier.  At the time I just made a zillion rose petals and put 5 together and twist - Don't do it this way (not practical).  Instead, you can get large all-in-one cutters by Ateco at GSA .  It isn't hard, just tedious.  I sped up the operation by using a pasta machine to make long sheets of fondant to make a ton of petals.  I did not double them like sixinarow because I wanted a more open look.  It also cut the time in half.

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3184833/a/3451378/the-cake-is-9-7-5-inch-fondant-covered-tiers-with-rose-petal-ruffles-fondant-hearts-and-a-fantasy-peony-the-flower-is-gumpaste-and-everything-else-is-fondant-happy-valentines-day-tfl/

Have Fun with it - turn on some tunes and the time will fly :)

Wow...  that's STUNNING!  I have an order for a 6 tier cake with this style of ruffle on 3 of the tiers.  Oh, and each of the tiers with the ruffles is 6" deep!  Fortunately, the ruffle tiers will be dummies, so I can do them ahead of time.  The wedding's in June...  maybe I should start now? LOL!

sixinarow Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 7:30pm
post #14 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Annnnnd, it makes me want potato chips. Kettle chips.

;-D

JWinslow's look is more of what you are going for -- Jeanne, I LOVE that cake! Makes me want to do the ruffles again, huge and single layered...almost! :wink:

JWinslow Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 8:20pm
post #15 of 30

Thank you Az, Relznik and sixinarow!   Love the potato chip comment - perfect!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 9:50pm
post #16 of 30

When I have to do something tedious for a long time, I listen to murder mystery books on my iPod.

sixinarow Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 11:57pm
post #17 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanter 

When I have to do something tedious for a long time, I listen to murder mystery books on my iPod.

Oh, good idea. I like old movies when I'm up working late. 

allcupcakedout Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 1:10pm
post #18 of 30

AThank you all for the help!!! I'm looking forward to doing this cake tonight *sarcasm*

allcupcakedout Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 1:11pm
post #19 of 30

A

Original message sent by JWinslow

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3184833/a/3451378/the-cake-is-9-7-5-inch-fondant-covered-tiers-with-rose-petal-ruffles-fondant-hearts-and-a-fantasy-peony-the-flower-is-gumpaste-and-everything-else-is-fondant-happy-valentines-day-tfl/]http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3184833/a/3451378/the-cake-is-9-7-5-inch-fondant-covered-tiers-with-rose-petal-ruffles-fondant-hearts-and-a-fantasy-peony-the-flower-is-gumpaste-and-everything-else-is-fondant-happy-valentines-day-tfl/[/URL]

This cake is beautiful!!!   Have Fun with it - turn on some tunes and the time will fly :)

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 6:43pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:

My business manager hates me for this but ...

You have a business manager? :wink:

morganchampagne Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 7:37pm
post #21 of 30

AYes. Keeps track of everything and helps me stay on track with the business plan and goals...

morganchampagne Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 7:37pm
post #22 of 30

AAlso works with the accountant

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 1:37am
post #23 of 30

Totally impressed! I'd say good luck, but you don't need luck, just a good business manager.

morganchampagne Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 4:34am
post #24 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Totally impressed! I'd say good luck, but you don't need luck, just a good business manager.

Thank you! Hey…money is the motive :). Keeping that in mind I know what it takes to get where I'm going. Love your book too! I made several changes to my kitchen based on your organization tips 

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 1:15pm
post #25 of 30

Would you use gum glue to attach to a dummy tier?

JWinslow Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 3:16pm
post #26 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie93095 

Would you use gum glue to attach to a dummy tier?

I would use RI for a dummy. 

aussieloco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aussieloco Posted 3 Mar 2018 , 9:24pm
post #27 of 30

Could you make these flowers ahead of time and then add them to the cake several weeks later?

Thank you in advance!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Mar 2018 , 4:21am
post #28 of 30

Not really aussieloco.  They aren't really flowers, just a flower shape cut out, sort of folded and attached to the cake.  If you want to get a nice tight fit, the fondant must be flexible.  You could cut out the shapes a day or two in advance and seal them in an airtight big to keep them free.  That would save a little time. 

aussieloco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aussieloco Posted 4 Mar 2018 , 1:20pm
post #29 of 30

Thank you for your quick response.  That helps me with the timeframe.

JWinslow Posted 4 Mar 2018 , 7:55pm
post #30 of 30

aussieloco,

If you are referring to the red peony on the Valentine's cake then yes you can.  Because it is a wired flower you can make it weeks in advance.  Keep it clean with some airflow but wired flowers are not considered edible to they would be removed anyway.  Save yourself some time if possible. 
I see this original thread is from 2014 so if I have confused the issue, I apologize. 

Jeanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%