How Do I Cut Wafer Paper Using Electronic Cutter

Decorating By lmhayes19 Updated 30 Sep 2014 , 4:16am by newb2

lmhayes19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmhayes19 Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 4:41am
post #1 of 15

So with wafer paper becoming a popular trend and all of these new wafer paper tutorial, I was wondering has anyone tried using it with there electronic cutter. If so, what did you use for a mat? I have a Silhoutte Cameo and I'm interested in using it to cut custom designs but I'm not sure what to used for a mat. Thanks in advance.

14 replies
dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 15

I have not found any information on this either.  bump

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 15

AI just use the same mat. But i did cut just circles.

lmhayes19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmhayes19 Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 1:56am
post #4 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecakewitch 

I just use the same mat. But i did cut just circles.

hhmmm, i guess it wouldn't hurt giving it a try using the same mat. What setting did you use for it. Thanks.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 2:20am
post #5 of 15

I've used it in the cricut, it's easy. It works like regular paper, you don't need to do anything special to it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 2:47am
post #6 of 15

ditto.  Did it a lot.

Deliciousdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deliciousdiva Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 1:31am
post #7 of 15

I just got a new cricut explore and it's working out well.  I used the cricut light mat with the wafer paper and have been going crazy cutting out all kinds of flowers to assemble, as well a spirals.  I have photocopied scrapbook paper with my edible printer, as well as gone on line and down loaded the print on to the wafer paper.  I always have let my wafer paper dry for at least 1 hour before cutting.  I honestly love this cricut, my old expression was finicky with internet connection, but this one no issues.  Have a silohuette that I'm giving to my dausghter because I don't want to have to think about print and then cut.  BTW I have been using a precreated project and just customizing the size down to 8 x 10 to fit my wafer paper.  Would upload pics if I knew how.  I am a techno dino. Oh I used the paper setting on the explore for the wafer paper..never had a tear.

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 15

How do you stick the paper to the mat?

unctoothlady Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deliciousdiva 

I just got a new cricut explore and it's working out well.  I used the cricut light mat with the wafer paper and have been going crazy cutting out all kinds of flowers to assemble, as well a spirals.  I have photocopied scrapbook paper with my edible printer, as well as gone on line and down loaded the print on to the wafer paper.  I always have let my wafer paper dry for at least 1 hour before cutting.  I honestly love this cricut, my old expression was finicky with internet connection, but this one no issues.  Have a silohuette that I'm giving to my dausghter because I don't want to have to think about print and then cut.  BTW I have been using a precreated project and just customizing the size down to 8 x 10 to fit my wafer paper.  Would upload pics if I knew how.  I am a techno dino. Oh I used the paper setting on the explore for the wafer paper..never had a tear.

How do you stick the paper to the cricut mat?

costumeczar Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by unctoothlady 

How do you stick the paper to the cricut mat?

You just use the regular mats, they have a little stickiness to the surface and that holds the paper on.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 15

AJust my experience earlier this week...I out wafer paper on the sticky side of one of mats and it wouldn't come up. So just keep that in mind. I just tape it down on the other mat that I didn't take that blue paper off of

costumeczar Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Just my experience earlier this week...I out wafer paper on the sticky side of one of mats and it wouldn't come up. So just keep that in mind. I just tape it down on the other mat that I didn't take that blue paper off of

Sometimes I have to use a little spatula to slide between the paper and the mat to release it.

unctoothlady Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 9:06pm
post #13 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

You just use the regular mats, they have a little stickiness to the surface and that holds the paper on.

Ok....I just tried that and it didn't work.  I rubbed the mat with shortening and then got most of it off.  The wafer paper stuck and cut beautifully and didn't dissolve.  Thanks for your input.  I am glad to have run across this thread.  I will definitely use wafer in my cricut a lot now....starting with an anniversary cake in two weeks.

ladonnaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladonnaa Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 3:01pm
post #14 of 15

AI just tried to cut wafer paper using Silhouette last night. I used the mat that came with the Silhouette. It is no longer sticky so i taped the paper around the edges to keep it straight and from moving. I put the setting as Cardstock and used speed 1 and it cut beautifully.

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 4:16am
post #15 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladonnaa 

I just tried to cut wafer paper using Silhouette last night. I used the mat that came with the Silhouette. It is no longer sticky so i taped the paper around the edges to keep it straight and from moving. I put the setting as Cardstock and used speed 1 and it cut beautifully.

Thanks for posting. I'm glad I found this thread, definitely going to try it. What flowers did you cut?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%