Birch Bark Tree Tutorial

Decorating By MeghFarr Updated 23 Jan 2015 , 5:50am by mommy4cn

CamilleBianca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CamilleBianca Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 11:11am
post #31 of 49

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

[B]CamilleBianca:[/B] A bear, it's a bear isn't it?  :P   It was nice to see that you were looking at the photo and reasoning out how it could be done without someone having to spoonfeed it one bit at a time. ♦ Good For you ♦

Original message sent by momof5chaps

[COLOR=800080][B][I]Thank you so much for posting this.... It definitelty gives me a place to start!!!! I really appreciate the detail you put into your post and I am grateful for your thoughtfulness in posting to help others. I cant wait to try this out! I will post pictures as soon as I can. Thank you again. [/I][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=800080][B][I]And [/I][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=444444][B]CamilleBianca- [I][COLOR=800080]I completely agree , everyone does things differently and we each have our own process. Its all in the outcome and making our clients happy ![/COLOR][/I][/B][/COLOR]

Thank you for your kind words.

Sweet Regards! :)

jennifergoulet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifergoulet Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 12:44pm
post #32 of 49

ADid you ever have any luck making it a darker shade like your original picture? Your lighter version is awesome! I need to make the darker version 3 times this summer. Just curious how I could do you steps but have the final product darker:)

acakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakedecorator Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 1:26pm
post #33 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by savannahquinn 

OK dumb question, but what coloring do you use for the white?

savannahquinn, Wilton sells something called White-White Icing Color which I assume is what the thread starter used on their cake. Every time I use it, it reminds me of paint! HTH.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 9:17pm
post #34 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by acakedecorator 

savannahquinn, Wilton sells something called White-White Icing Color which I assume is what the thread starter used on their cake. Every time I use it, it reminds me of paint! HTH.

Thank you for your reply! That's what I was wondering :)

acakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakedecorator Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 9:20pm
post #35 of 49

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Dejasnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dejasnow Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 12:42am
post #36 of 49

Beautiful ! and perfect timing for me as I am doing a Birch wedding cake in August and now I can practice a bit !

Christina T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina T Posted 11 May 2014 , 4:27am
post #37 of 49

What shade of brown  and gray did you use for the cake? I have a birch tree wedding cake coming up and the bride wants one pretty similar to that.Your cake is beautiful.

kitycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naubin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naubin Posted 12 May 2014 , 5:54pm
post #39 of 49

Very nice cakes.... I love the look of bark, so rustic and romantic!!

kitycat Posted 12 May 2014 , 5:58pm
post #40 of 49

:D   IT WAS CHALLENGING BUT  FUN

kitycat Posted 12 May 2014 , 6:09pm
post #41 of 49

THANK YOU

;-D

lorillc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorillc Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 10:35am
post #42 of 49

I'm doing a birch tree cake next weekend.   I've made a few 8'' birch tree cakes but I've never wrapped them,  my question is when you ''wrap'' the cake does the fondant stretch/sag off the sides! Do you add something to the fondant to make it stronger?

I've watched and read many tutorials on wrapping a cake and I'm looking for an easier way to cover the cakes.  I don't know why but I seem to have a hard time with fondant and end up spending a lot of time and say a few really bad words while I'm at it...lol. 

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 2:43pm
post #43 of 49

Anytime I need to wrap fondant around a cake, I freeze it so that's it's easier to work with.

lorillc Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 12:01pm
post #44 of 49

Thank- you...Do you freeze the cake, or the rolled out fondant (just enough to stiffen the fondant)?  This cake has me very worried. The humidity has been awful lately and the brides mother has warned me that bride has been quite moody and not to worry because in the end she will settle down.  So I'm getting hit with a double whammy...lol.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 3:13pm
post #45 of 49

Don't freeze the cake.  Roll out your fondant to the size you want to place around the cake and freeze it for a few minutes.  Since it's humid there you'll have to work quickly.  Once it's on the cake you may have to let the moisture dissipate before decorating it further.  You can also use modeling chocolate instead of fondant.  If you use modeling chocolate you won't have to freeze it as it will hold it's shape while you place it around the cake.

It's humid here in the summer months too so my little trick is once my cake is decorated I chill it in the refrigerator and depending on the size of my cake I will place it in a sealed card board box 3-4 hour prior to delivery.  This tempers it slowly and the box absorbs the moisture so that I my decorations don't run or my sugar flowers don't wilt.

I purchase a case of 2 different sizes from a local box company (Uline) so that I have them on hand.  

lorillc Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 10:24am
post #46 of 49

ladyonzlake, thank- you for your help.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 5:04am
post #47 of 49

Thank you for sharing this information.  I've always liked the looks of the birch bark trees.  I was wondering, however, if there is a method to do a birch bark with buttercream?  My future daughter-in-law doesn't like fondant and has asked for one of the layers of their wedding cake to have the birch bark look, but in buttercream.  They aren't getting married until next June, but I want to start practicing the technique so I have it down pat by the time I actually need to bake and decorate their wedding cake.  I'd appreciate any information any of your can provide, and will also be looking on the internet to see what I can find.  I want to make sure this wedding cake is perfect since it's for my son and future daughter-in-law.  I'm a hobbyist.....not a professional baker, so am very nervous about it.

mommy4cn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy4cn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy4cn Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 5:50am
post #49 of 49

A[quote name="mommy4cn" url="/t/760582/birch-bark-tree-tutorial/30#post_7571720"][IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3324098/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/quote] My first attempt at birch... I think i like. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%