Cookie Recipes That Do Not Harden After Cooling?

Baking By MichaelEhard Updated 26 Jan 2015 , 5:18pm by Vals

MichaelEhard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelEhard Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 6:34am
post #1 of 12

Hello Friends,

I have been trying to bake cookies for a gift basket for the men at my husband's work. Every recipe I have tried since so far have hardened after cooling the cookies. Am I doing something wrong or does someone have recipes for Oatmeal Raisin, Chocolate chip, and peanut butter cookies that stay soft after cooling? The men at his work like soft chewy cookies not hard ones.

Thanks

Michael Ehard

11 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 11:16am
post #2 of 12

Here at home we use the oatmeal cookie recipe right off the oatmeal box and just add extra oatmeal... we keep them in a plastic bag... they almost never spread and are always soft... we don't add raisins though...

For the peanut butter we use the one right on the jif container... I haven't ever noticed them getting hard... 

hope that is helpful...

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 12

my family is usually not a fan of oatmeal cookies but they request this recipe more than any other. cookies do stay moist after cooling. it's from 'Mom's Big Book of Baking' by Lauren Chattman

1 1/2 Cup Flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup butter MELTED and cooled slightly

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

3 cups old fashion oats (NOT INSTANT)

1 cup raisins, dried cranberries, or cherries (or whatever you like)

1 cup of chopped nuts (I add dark chocolate chips instead)

preheat oven to 350

mix flour, soda & salt

cream cooled melted butter & sugars until smooth. add eggs & vanilla stir in flour until combined. Stir in oats, fruit, & chips. place bowl in fridge for about 10 minutes or up to 6 hrs. then scoop and bake for about 8-12 minutes.

Enjoy! 

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 12

You maybe baking them too long. I use the have that problem. A few tips:

1) I bake cookies until they are almost done.  About a minute or two less than what is on the recipe. They cook a few minutes on the pan after removing them from the oven.

2) Keep them on the pan until they are just firm enough to move to a cooling rack. About 2-3 minutes after taking them out of the oven.

3) As soon as they are completely cooled move them to an airtight container. 

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:

I have been trying to bake cookies for a gift basket for the men at my husband's work. Every recipe I have tried since so far have hardened after cooling the cookies. Am I doing something wrong or does someone have recipes for Oatmeal Raisin, Chocolate chip, and peanut butter cookies that stay soft after cooling? The men at his work like soft chewy cookies not hard ones.

It has something to do with the ratio of flour and moisture.  

If the recipe calls for brown sugar and butter/margarine, DO NOT substitute shortening.  And your brown sugar has to be SOFT when you start measuring it.  If you really have to make substitutions, then add one more egg.

I bake these kinds of cookies with all purpose unbleached flour, and the best way to measure such flour is to weigh it. There are lots of recipes for such cookies by weight at kingarthurflour.com.  Your other choice is to spoon the flour into a dry-measure (NOT glass) measuring cup and lightly level it.  That will give you less weight of flour in each "cup" and then your cookies will stay softer.

Finally, you must not overbake the cookies.  They have to be slightly soft in the middle on the cookie sheet when you take them out of the oven because they always firm up a little when they cool.  So bake a few cookies as a test to get your timing right--just as with a cake, my soft cookies test "springy" to a light touch.  

corieskye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corieskye Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 2:26am
post #6 of 12

A

Original message sent by MichaelEhard

Hello Friends,

Thanks Michael Ehard

corieskye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corieskye Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 2:27am
post #7 of 12

AAll you have to do is add a little more butter. It will add my calories but the cookies will be nice and soft.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 2:55am
post #8 of 12

Here's an old fashioned tip:  put your cookies in a tightly sealed container and add one slice of fresh bread.  Put a piece of wax paper between the slice of bread and the cookies so that they do not touch.  It will slightly soften the cookies overnight.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 4:18am
post #9 of 12

ATry a recipe that has honey in it. Honey is a natural preservative and draws moisture to the cookie. I like the recipe from the Mrs. Fields cookie book.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 5:10am
post #10 of 12

AMy mom burned cookies every time when I was a kid and I took one to school one day, and just slid it in the same bag as my sandwich. That sucker was down right tender when I pulled it out at lunch.

I know this thread is old and the gentleman probably isn't monitoring it anymore, but for anyone else, I suspect the cookies are just over baked. My cookies are soft for days and I don't do anything special, just take them out when they start to get brown. They continue to cook on the sheet once out of the oven, and firm up nicely, but don't harden. I love baking on parchment paper too.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 1:19pm
post #11 of 12

and if you can't wait over night which i am one of those--another idea is to place the cookies on a rack over a skillet of hot water--set it all in the microwave just to let the mild steam do it's thing in the confined space--no need to turn on the microwave--

me some soft cookies

and the bread thing is also good to do if you ship cookies--i cut little breads out with cookie cutters and inform the recipients to feed the birds with 'em

Vals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vals Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 5:18pm
post #12 of 12

Hi Michael: Just wondered if you ever found the answer to your problem with the gift baskets - I've got a similar dilemma - have the opportunity to make 100 cookies a day ccc, oatmeal, peanut butter etc. but the office leaves them out on plates all day.  With my cookies, they are soft after baking but after about 4 or 5 hours uncovered they lose their softness and I'm trying to figure out how the packaged ones stay soft if you leave them out for 3 days!!  Any help gratefully received. Thanks so much, Valerie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%