Chocolate Candy Plaque Question!

Decorating By Lydia227 Updated 25 Jul 2014 , 1:23am by Lydia227

Lydia227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lydia227 Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 8

Hi guys, Im going to be making an Ariel candy plaque to put on a cake at the end of the month but I don't know how to make it stand up on the cake! Has anyone done anything like this or can give me some ideas?

Here is the link for the Ariel cake but I don't understand the directions about making it stand up.

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Ariles-Splashy-Celebration-Cake

7 replies
inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 8

If I read it correctly, you would construct the cake as you would a centered doweled tiered cake. Instead of putting a top layer on, you would use the center dowel as the "holder" of the plaque. You would attach it using melted chocolate. You would also need to put doweling for support of the plaque because it is heavy. Do you have that center support system that they talk about? Personally, if I were making it, I wouldn't use a single center dowel. I would put support in the bottom cake but I would also put two dowels long enough to go through the cake drum. Then I once I have put them through to mark the spot, I would clean them and then attach them to the plaque with melted chocolate. I would even do a double round of melted chocolate after the first round had set. That plaque just looks big and heavy. HTH

Catpack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Catpack Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 8

I was wondering how your cake turned out and what you used?

Lydia227 Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 8

Hey the cake turned out great!!  I just used dowel rods attached to the back so it was not very supported. I set it up at the party so it was not a big deal.  I had some of the coral from the cake fall and break but I had made some extra so it was okay!  

I had to make like three chocolate plaques because they kept turning out with bubbles or other weird things.  Lets just say this will be my only candy plaque I will every make!!!!!!

Here is a link to the cake I made: 

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2411180/a/2412180/12-inch-three-layers-white-cake-with-blue-swirls-ariel-is-a-chocolate-plaque-covered-in-buttercream-letters-and-some-seaweed-is-fondant-seaweed-and-coral-is-royal-icing-seashells-are-white-chocolate-served-with-chocolate-and-strawberry/

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 2:21am
post #5 of 8

AOMG! That is gorgeous! Ariel is seriously made out of chocolate??? She's more 3D than flat, how did u achieve that? Awesome awesome awesome!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 11:47am
post #6 of 8

I've never made an Ariel cake so this thread intrigued me.  Love learning something new.  Looks like you take the Ariel Wilton face pan and line it with chocolate and that's why it's so huge, it started out as an actual cake pan.  No wonder it's so heavy.  And I would skip their directions and do what the other poster did, attach (in the back) four sturdy straws or dowels with more chocolate then put it on at the party.  Several reviewers said they would never do this again.........once was enough.  :-)

Catpack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Catpack Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 8

Glad to hear everything went well with the cake.  Looks great!  Mine will be my last candy mold one as well.   lol  I had such a hard time with the eye lashes.  Used toothpicks and it was not fun!  I hate Wilton's instructions for things.  Very poor.  Can't find anywhere where it says how to do it. . .but not an issue now.  I'm done.  lol Thanks for replying.

Lydia227 Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 1:23am
post #8 of 8

Yes, I used the Ariel cake pan and just piped/poured in the different color chocolate.  It was the most frustrating cake I have made to date!  The cake itself was no problem, but trying to get the chocolate correct and then getting everything together and looking good was hard.  The chocolate plaque was very heavy so straws won't work.  I think I would use really thick dowel rod.  I used just regular size (from cake area in Michaels) but there are much thinker ones in the wood area at Michaels.  I won't be making another one unless someone is going to pay a ton of money for it...okay maybe not even then!  Hahahaha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%