Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By snazzycakes1 Updated 13 Aug 2014 , 1:43pm by laural124

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 2:34pm
post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbaker55 

I've made it with the 12 oz bag of Wilton Melts, 1/3 C clear corn syrup recipe. I added gel food coloring & Lorann oil flavoring to the syrup before I stirred it into the melts. Came out with tasty, vibrantly colored modeling clay that was easy to work, held its shape and people actually ate the decorations made with it instead of scraping them to the  side of the plate like they've done with fondant!

I also used the recipe I found here on CC for Chocolate Leather. It calls for chocolate bark and clear corn syrup. Tastes just like a Tootsie Roll!

One thing I learned is to let the melted mixture set several hours before trying to knead it. I made a huge mess trying to sop up all the watery/oily looking goo before that lesson! OH! and it's a good idea to work over the sinkicon_smile.gif

When did you  add the gel and oil if I might ask? Was it during the melting process or when you folded the corn syrup in?

Thank you

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 3:42am
post #32 of 56

Izzy,

I stirred both into the corn syrup before adding it to the melted wafers.

It only took a tiny drop or two of the Lorann oil (Butterscotch or Butter Rum...I don't remember which) to flavor one batch. At the time, I only had Wilton gel colors so I just stirred dabs at a time into the syrup until I figured it would be intense enough. That was my first time making the stuff, so I pretty much ad libbed my way through.icon_smile.gif

I made 4 batches that day...BTW, they all started with White Wilton Melts. Here's a pic for you...the saran wrap kinda blurs things a bit though and the green appears a bit lime-ish here but it's just the camera:

Izzy Sweet Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 4:11am
post #33 of 56

AWow they look nice and vibrant..Looks like I have some experimenting to do !!! Great job and thank you for the info.

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 5:22am
post #34 of 56

Hi there, 

I think I can help. I am about to publish a book called Cake Decorating with Modeling Chocolate. Here you can download a draft copy of the first 8 pages, which include my recipes and some useful info about understanding how different chocolates perform. MC is tricky but amazing stuff. I hope you enjoy working with it. 

mskerrih Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskerrih Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 5:56am
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedGoodies 

Hi there, 

I think I can help. I am about to publish a book called Cake Decorating with Modeling Chocolate. Here you can download a draft copy of the first 8 pages, which include my recipes and some useful info about understanding how different chocolates perform. MC is tricky but amazing stuff. I hope you enjoy working with it. 

I looked at your website.. It's pretty amazing.. you share alot of great info.. thanks!

Izzy Sweet Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 5:57am
post #36 of 56

I will be buying that book

Izzy Sweet Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 6:18am
post #37 of 56

ok diving in and trying it

mskerrih Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskerrih Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 11:39pm
post #38 of 56

AHow did it go???

Izzy Sweet Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 12:43am
post #39 of 56

It went pretty good...I am now trying to see how thin I can roll it...i love this stuff..It took me 2 trys before it came out properly but after you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy.Make before you go to bed and then when you get up in the morning it is waiting for you lol.I will snap some pics and post them when my batteries  charge for my camera.

andi008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andi008 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 3:57pm
post #40 of 56

Hi there :)

I would really appreciate if you could upload the class notes...we can't buy modelling chocolate in South Africa (really annoying! I did see it once but it was so expensive I couldn't justify paying what they were asking. Obviously no one else could either & I haven't seen it for sale since!), so I will have to make some. Any info other than the great info you have provided will be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

icon_lol.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 4:09pm
post #41 of 56

Hi, please watch this video with Lauren Kitchens. I was using this recipe before i took her demo at ices convention.
She will be demoing again this year. She works mainly with chocolate. I met Mari Senago at an ices convention 13 yrs. ago.

She is on facebook and i think a member here. She in my opionion the best in making chocolate flowers. If you get to ices convention , be sure to check to see if she is doing anything in demos or hands on classes. I think also, that works in modeling chocolate also. I think she covers some of her cakes in modeling chocolate. So check out these two and you won,t have any problems. They both use the same recipe and so does Mike Mccarey. hth

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 4:11pm
post #42 of 56

Forgot to add i use merkens chocolate also. Jennifer Dontz has a great dvd on modeling chocolate and how she uses it with pettinice fondant to cover her cakes and different decos.

momd68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momd68 Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 11:23pm
post #43 of 56

I am new to modeling chocolate and want to try to make some to put on cupcakes next weekend.  I need it to be black but  I haven't looked at all the wilton chocolate wafers to see if they even have black or if I will have to buy the brown wafers and use black gel. How easy will it be to get it black? 

TIA

CupcakeBaby125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeBaby125 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 6:42am
post #44 of 56

AGlad I found this! It has great info for a beginner like me!

AlphaSierra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlphaSierra Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 7:16am
post #45 of 56

Wilton confectionery coating candy (or "chocolate" wafers) certainly do come in black, and Michaels (or other craft stores) should have them but some smaller outlets may not carry all the colours/flavours. I do believe, if you are in the US or Canada (maybe), that you can order them from the Wilton website. Hope that helped!

Baking Becky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Becky Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 8:13pm
post #46 of 56

Those are amazing - I would love to learn how to make flowers llike that.  I live in a very rural area and hard to find anything more than online tutorials.  

hislilbaker89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hislilbaker89 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:32am
post #47 of 56

AI love ur Choc leaves. How did u make them!? I'm going to make modeling chocolate this weekend for a cake for my family and was curious if I had to buy a fondant cutter to make the leaves or to buy mint leaves and paint melted chocolate on them and freeze em and then peel the chocolate off the leaf. Ty

Original message sent by happyascanbee

These I made years ago... everything on it is 100% modeling chocolate..

ImageImageImageImageImage

hislilbaker89 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:34am
post #48 of 56

AWhere would I buy merkens chocolate at?

Original message sent by icer101

Forgot to add i use merkens chocolate also. Jennifer Dontz has a great dvd on modeling chocolate and how she uses it with pettinice fondant to cover her cakes and different decos.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 1:10am
post #49 of 56

You can order them on her website. Or sometimes you can find them (or similar brands) at a local cake supply store if you don't want to risk the chocolate being melted during shipping in this heat.

hislilbaker89 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 1:14am
post #50 of 56

ATy I'll have to check that out.

Original message sent by sixinarow

You can order them on her website. Or sometimes you can find them (or similar brands) at a local cake supply store if you don't want to risk the chocolate being melted during shipping in this heat.

cocoasupply Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoasupply Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 8:49pm
post #51 of 56

You can aslo just buy the coverture, and molde it. It is easier.  Just don't forget to temper the chocolate to make it shiny and beautiful.

http://www.cocoasupply.com/shop/bergenfield-cocoa-powders-0

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 9:04pm
post #52 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocoasupply 

You can aslo just buy the coverture, and molde it. It is easier.  Just don't forget to temper the chocolate to make it shiny and beautiful.

http://www.cocoasupply.com/shop/bergenfield-cocoa-powders-0

Modeling chocolate and molded chocolate are two entirely different things. Nice sales pitch though :P

cocoasupply Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoasupply Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 9:14pm
post #53 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Modeling chocolate and molded chocolate are two entirely different things. Nice sales pitch though :P

Maybe I am confused... I went to a chocolate fair in Belgium (Chocoa) where they did all types of chocolate figures, bows, decorations, and what not, and they were using chocolate couverture (Dark and milk). Is that chocolate modeling? or am I talking about something completely different? 

pamalbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamalbake Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 5:09pm
post #54 of 56

wow!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 8:22pm
post #55 of 56

I did research last night as I also want to try this Modeling choc. thing...but I always read, and READ before I do anything....I hope this helps, has a chart on measuring for different textures and all...And how to fix your chocolate if you have a problem. Says its easy. 

http://www.cakepaperparty.com/2014/03/make-modeling-chocolate-make/

http://www.cakepaperparty.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Modeling-Chocolate-Ingredient-Quantities.pdf

laural124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laural124 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 1:43pm
post #56 of 56

Thank you for all this info! Extremely helpful for a newbie! :-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%