Where To Order Belgian Chocolate Cocoa Powder?

Decorating By cserwa Updated 18 Nov 2016 , 2:22pm by Dinael

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:40am
post #1 of 18

I want to get really high quality pure chocolate cocoa powder for a cake I'm making for a special friend. I found an 11 pound bag for 90 dollars. Anyone have any good recommendations regarding where I can buy this cheaper? Looking for cocoa powder - pure Belgian - semisweet. TIA!

17 replies
cserwa Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 18

Anyone?

SpilledSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpilledSugar Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:27am
post #3 of 18

I've never heard of semi-sweet cocoa powder...Do you mean baking cocoa? Like that Ghirardelli "baking cocoa?" That stuff is closer to Nesquick than anything. If you want high quality cocoa powder, you can go to Amazon and buy Cacao Barry or Callebaut (French/Belgian) cocoa powder in 2.2 lb bags. It'll cost about $10 - 13 per pound, but it's the real deal and the best way to get it home--unless you have a friend who works in a professional pastry kitchen ; ). You can even spring for the Valrhona cocoa, if you want to pay $17 per pound. All of them are deep, dark, and beautiful cocoas. Cacao Barry works well, is priced well, and has a great taste. Callebaut is the same company, but I haven't tried it yet. Many people swear by Valrhona only--but it's up to you!

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:03am
post #4 of 18

You may want to try King Arthur Flour. My stepmom won't buy her chocolate from anybody else.

cserwa Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 7:15am
post #5 of 18

Thank you both for the replies! I'm googling those suggestions now!

anica-ness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anica-ness Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cserwa 

I want to get really high quality pure chocolate cocoa powder for a cake I'm making for a special friend. I found an 11 pound bag for 90 dollars. Anyone have any good recommendations regarding where I can buy this cheaper? Looking for cocoa powder - pure Belgian - semisweet. TIA!

It is a bit expensive. I would recommend you Delices & Gourmandises, almost their cakes are based on pure roasted cocoa beans but it's up to you.

emmasto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmasto Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 18

Hi anica-ness

I just look at the site you suggested and I was wondering if Delices and Gourmandises was a safe business? I'll always be a little scared when I order online (especially for quality of the products)

liliduv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liliduv Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 11:52am
post #8 of 18

Hi anica,

I just go on your blog Delices & Gourmandises but everything is in French. Do you know where i can find the recipe in English?

anica-ness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anica-ness Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 18

Hi,

I've been ordering items from Delices & Gourmandises several times now but everything was perfect. The after-sell services are great and all the products looks quality. It didn't take too much time for the delivery products and we can participate freely to a lottery once we place the order.

I do not know liliduv if there are some recipes here but it is the one I found,

http://delicesandgourmandises.wordpress.com/

Anniah5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anniah5 Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 9:14am
post #10 of 18

Wow ! Your friend is spoiled ! He is really lucky ! If you want to surprise your friend, I recommend you to have a look on Delices & Gourmandises website. They sell the finest ingredients as far as pastry and confectionery are concerned. My grand-mother often make some pastries for us and she usually order at Delices & Gourmandises. I am quite sure you will find a high quality pure chocolate there. 

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MollyHammond 

You may want to try King Arthur Flour. My stepmom won't buy her chocolate from anybody else.

I'll only use this for my chocolate cake: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/bensdorp-dutch-process-cocoa-16-oz

(...and that's after testing the recipe using 7 other cocoas...low to high-end)

Armelle_k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Armelle_k Posted 26 May 2016 , 8:40am
post #12 of 18

Ma grand ma is Belgian and every time she comes to visit me, she brings chocolate from delices et gourmandises. I love their chocolate with liquor. I know that we can order from France or other neighbor country but not sure for UK. Any way it's Belgian chocolate and it's normal to be the best. 

Dayvide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayvide Posted 31 May 2016 , 9:53am
post #13 of 18

Yes you can order your ingredient to délices et gourmandises. That's a brand your can find in every grand mother's house. You should fill out a form on their web site and you going to have catalog. 

Ninih7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninih7 Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 8:41am
post #14 of 18

Quote by @emmasto on 17 Jun 2014 , 7:26am

I just look at the site you suggested and I was wondering if Delices and Gourmandises was a safe business? I'll always be a little scared when I order online (especially for quality of the products)

Delices and Gourmandises is a safe business. I have ordered quite a few times from them and I have not had any issue yet. Delivery is on time and your order is well packed. I even heard about a lottery awards for its customers. I haven’t won anything though.

Anniah5 Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 9:39am
post #15 of 18

Quote by @cserwa on 11 Jul 2011 , 12:40am

The only place you could find pure and high quality cocoa powder is where it is produced for the first time aka Ivory Coast.

Anniah5 Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 9:41am
post #16 of 18

Quote by @liliduv on 4 Jul 2014 , 4:52am

Hi anica,

I just go on your blog Delices & Gourmandises but everything is in French. Do you know where i can find the recipe in English?

Delices and Gourmandises does have recipes written in english. All you have to do is go on google and type in the recipe you are looking for in English with the word "Delices and Gourmandises" included. You will see that there are plenty of recipes written in English.

pastychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastychef Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 6:09pm
post #17 of 18

I'm a little leery of people with a history of only making comments promoting a company. I think we've been infiltrated by bots.

Dinael Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinael Posted 18 Nov 2016 , 2:22pm
post #18 of 18

My most favorite Belgian chocolate is from the Wommelgem. But they would never reveal their secret about the cocoa powder. But maybe some locals would.... Try to contact someone from there trough some social networks :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%