"cupcake Flour" ?????

Decorating By Gingoodies Updated 29 Jan 2015 , 6:25pm by bakeforfun21

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 21

The other day, a girl came into the store where I work looking for items to make decorated cupcakes from a book she had. I was able to help her find most of the things she needed. She then asked "Do you sell cupcake flour?" icon_surprised.gificon_confused.giftapedshut.gif Really?

I told her I had never heard of such a thing, and maybe they meant "cake flour". She said, no.. cupcake flour, and showed me the recipe in the book. Sure enough, there it was in black and white.

I asked her which cupcake book it was. "Martha Stewart Cupcakes"

Has anyone else run across this? IS there such a thing and I am just in the dark on this one?

20 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 21

I've never heard of it. I checked all three of my sources that have lists of types of flour, and none of them state that name.

If anyone has a copy of that book, and can post the name of the recipe and the page it's on, I will gladly send an e-mail to her website and ask for clarification on this.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 21

I've never heard of cupcake flour either. I just googled it and the only thing that came up when I searched was cake flour.

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 21

I just did a Google search for "cupcake flour" and everything that came up referred to cake flour. I would suggest e-mailing [email protected] for them to clarify

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 21

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Leave it to Martha (who I admire as a business person!) to come up with a "snooty one of a kind flour" for CUPCAKES! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Leave it to Martha (who I admire as a business person!) to come up with a "snooty one of a kind flour" for CUPCAKES! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That was my first thought too! I really think it is plain old cake flour.

I don't know which recipe it was, the customer had the book and I did not take note of the name of the recipe.

JBlair4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JBlair4 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 21

Im only guessing here but I think its safe to assume they meant 2/3 of a CUP, cake flour...... just like it would say 1/3 cup water, or 1/2 cup powdered sugar ...... they probably meant 2/3 cup, cake flour. Now I havent seen the book. So I dont know if it said, 2/3 cup cupcake flour. In that sense I had NO idea they made a special flour for cupcakes... Hope this helps! Happy baking.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 21

It's probably "2/3 cup cake flour." Maybe a typo.

I wish I could see the book, but there are no previews of it and I'll never buy a Martha book for recipes.

Next time I'm at the bookstore, I'm going to check.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 21

You don't need to buy Martha's cupcake book. Just go to her website, they are all posted there.

I did some research and got her book from the library and then did a google search for the recipes. I checked I believe the first 20 before I got bored and quit, but I found all of them online. They were either from her site or other blogs who made the cupcakes.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 21

Oh, I don't want to look at them to bake them. I just want to see if they all have that typo that prompted someone to ask for "cupcake flour" at the store.

I didn't see online that the recipes asked for "2/3 cupcake flour."

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:30pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Oh, I don't want to look at them to bake them. I just want to see if they all have that typo that prompted someone to ask for "cupcake flour" at the store.

I didn't see online that the recipes asked for "2/3 cupcake flour."

Yeah, I figured that. I was just putting that out there in case anybody wanted to find her cupcake recipes. I don't think I have baked one of her recipes, but I do use them as a reference for flavoring of my own recipes.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 21

I'm looking at my copy of MS Cupcakes. I see no typo, nor "cupcake flour" though it's possible I missed something. However, on p.277 the recipe for Almond-Hazelnut Cupcakes does call for "3/4 cup cake flour."

JBlair4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JBlair4 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:34pm
post #13 of 21

Once again Im sure they mean 3/4 cup..... cake flour.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlair4

Yes, that's what I was assuming, too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:04pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:

You know .... this makes the story even funnier! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

patissiere1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patissiere1021 Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 10:24am
post #16 of 21

i did! i was searching for a recipe for green tea cake roll and dicided 2 make it so i went to buy the grociries for it.when i was writing a shopping list, i went pass cup cake flour so i searched for that. and i saw this.

malson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malson Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 10:39am
post #17 of 21

I found this recipe that also calls for cupcake flour. I am as "confuddled"  as you lot.

recipe adapted from Back in the Day Bakery

http://cookiesandcups.com/my-favorite-vanilla-cupcakes

I plan on making them with cake flour.  Will let you know.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 12:11pm
post #18 of 21

AMalson, that recipe is calling for 1 3/4 cup OF cake flour, not cupcake flour. :)

Eliza Viaggio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Viaggio Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 1:28am
post #19 of 21

This what I found when I googled it.  Leave it to GOOGLE to find an answer.

(1 cup AP flour - 2 Tablespoons AP flour + 2 Tablespoons corn starch = 1 cup cake flour) Be sure to sift the flour to distribute the corn starch well before using it in your cake batter. The primary difference between cake flour and all-purpose (AP) flour is the protein content (which becomes gluten)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 5:25am
post #20 of 21

Ai used that once and my vanilla cake tasted like corn

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 29 Jan 2015 , 6:25pm
post #21 of 21

Quote:

Im only guessing here but I think its safe to assume they meant 2/3 of a CUP, cake flour...... just like it would say 1/3 cup water, or 1/2 cup powdered sugar ...... they probably meant 2/3 cup, cake flour. Now I havent seen the book. So I dont know if it said, 2/3 cup cupcake flour. In that sense I had NO idea they made a special flour for cupcakes... Hope this helps! Happy baking.

ROTFLMBO!!!! That would be awesome if that was it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%