Pink Lemonade Cupcakes Sunk.

Baking By kater82 Updated 28 Oct 2014 , 5:49pm by occheermommy

kater82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kater82 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 10

I made the pink lemonade cup cakes with the 1 cup concentrate plus box mix recipe here on cc. Well I loved the taste but every single cupcake sunk in the middle. I want to make them again cause I loved them. Any tips for the sinking? I am high altitude so I dont know if that matters. TIA !

9 replies
flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 10

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but it sounds like you added the concentrate in addition to the box recipe? If that is the case, that's too much liquid.

kater82 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 10

Sorry. I did word that incorrectly. I was just trying to specify I used the box cake. I followed all directions.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 10

I'm not real good with the science of baking stuff, but I wonder if the extra sugar in the concentrate does something. When I add Strawberry Margarita mix, it makes my cake very heavy, but hasn't sunk

So basically, I'm not much help to you, sorry!

I hope someone else has the answer

kerrimanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerrimanda Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 10

Did you put just 3/4 cup concentrate in the cake mix?

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 10

I had the same problem with this recipe when I used the straight concentrate. I tried again on a second batch and made the lemonade (diluted w/water) and used that for the water listed on the box--much better results. I've also done bottled raspberry-lemonade from Fresh & Easy and that worked well too.

I suspect the concentrate is just too sugar-heavy and it throws off the chemistry.

Kristy

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 10

Try using an extra egg next time. If that or any of the other suggestions work please post your results. I was interested in trying that recipe too and just haven't gotten around to it. If you try the suggestion to dilute the concentrate, try diluting it with club soda. I really like the texture it gives the cupcakes. I just made some lemon cupcake with blueberry filling for mu husband to take to work. I replace the water with 1/2 lemon Torani syrup and 1/2 club soda. They came out yummy.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:45am
post #8 of 10

If you have too much sugar in your recipe, it will cause cupcakes to sink. That and underbaking.

As a result I make sure that my sugar weight matches my flour weight in most cases. If I don't do this for a cupcake then I always get the sinking in the middle.

Next time you make this using this concentrate, try reducing the amount of sugar you add. It is going to be trial and error. But the sweeter the concentrate, the more sugar I would take out.

Is this a liquid or powder? What is the brand?

kater82 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the suggestions. The recipe called for 1 cup thawed concentrate. So I used the whole cup. I will try it again. I just might go do it now with the diluted method. I will keep you posted.

occheermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
occheermommy Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 10

ASo I threw together a recipe of my own yesterday and used about a cup of concentrate and just cooked them a min longer than usual and they didn't fall. On the other hand I made some pink velvet ones yesterday and had to have my mom take them out when I went to get my son. I didn't want her to have to judge doneness so I told her take them out no matter what and they fell. So I think the under done theory is a good one. I tend to poke a tooth pick in and if it comes out clean it's fine. Sometimes I think there is a level where they come clean but they r just barely done. If u go another min or two past that stage as I did with my second batch they don't fall. They still taste great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%