Please Help! How Do I Stack A Spiral Cake?

Decorating By Hillywu Updated 23 Oct 2014 , 11:04pm by QuiteContrary

Hillywu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hillywu Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #1 of 12

I've read all of the tutorials I can find on here about actually cutting the spiral, but I'm not sure how to actually stack it so it will be sturdy. It's going to be a fairly large cake, so I want to make sure it's not going to slip and slide! Do I do it in tiers on the cake circles and use dowels? If so, where do I get the long food safe dowels that go down through the center of the cake?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help!

11 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:53am
post #2 of 12

do you have a link to a picture of a spiral cake? Or to the tutorial that you were looking at? I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:03am
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

do you have a link to a picture of a spiral cake? Or to the tutorial that you were looking at? I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about.

ditto. And what do you mean by "cutting the spiral"? Is that part of the design or are you talking about when you serve it?

Hillywu Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:04am
post #4 of 12

Oh, sorry for not being more specific. I'll see if I can attach a picture of what I'm talking about. It is one of the cakes that looks like it has a road winding up around it. When I say cutting the spiral I mean carving the road into the cake. I'm good on that (I think!). My concern is the actual stacking of the cake before I carve the road into it. I'm assuming that you would use dowels or the hollow plastic dowels just as you would if you were stacking a regular tiered cake, and then maybe one dowel down through the center of the cake when it's finished being stacked. I need to find out for sure what to do in case I need to order any materials for it. I live in a very small town and nothing other than a Michael's nearby.

Thank you! Here's a link to the cake. Sorry if It's not in here right. This is the first I've tried to add a link to a post.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1462377.html

Hillywu Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 12

bump

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:26am
post #6 of 12

Sorry I have never done a cake like that. Can't think of any tutorials I have seen either. Hopefully someone that has done it or has info will see this and point you in the right direction.

Hillywu Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks, leily. I think I'm just going to try to stack it like I normally would a tiered cake and hope for the best.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 12

That's my cake in the picture - I carved the road on each tier before stacking. When you stack you just line up the roads so they connect, otherwise it is just stacked normally. I used bubble tea straws, cardboard circles and a center dowel on this one.

I made templates to guide my carving of each tier - a long piece of parchment paper that wrapped around the cake with the slope of the road, then a cardboard circle template for the top of the cake, to cut out the spiral shape of the road. These I then used as the base each tier sits on. You do lose a lot of servings I'm afraid, but it is a cool effect!

Hillywu Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 12

Oh thank you so much for replying! I thought your cake was wonderful! My next step was to PM you and see what you could tell me. Thanks for saving me a step!

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:06am
post #10 of 12

http://cakecentral.com/articles/662/how-to-carve-a-spiral-cake

Here is a tutorial from CC...wasn't sure if you had seen this one.

The Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The Witch Posted 19 May 2014 , 2:09am
post #11 of 12

AHere is my first attempt at a spiral cake. Didn't turn out like I wanted. I put cake boards under each cake size (6,8 10) and stacked the cakes offset. Then I carved it. I used bubble straws in the bottom two layers. When I carved the cakes the cake boards were in the way and I had to cut them out of the way. What did I do wrong? Was I not supposed to use cake boards? [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3237858/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

QuiteContrary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContrary Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 11:04pm
post #12 of 12

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3297903/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

If anyone has any advice for me on making this cake, I would truly appreciate it. From the sizes of cake needed, carving, stacking, covering and pricing everything. Any and all positive feedback welcome. Thanks in advance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%