Lorann Oils?

Baking By jayne1873 Updated 20 Nov 2014 , 4:41pm by LorAnnOils

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 2 May 2010 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 15

I bought some whilst over in the US as you can only get very limited flavourings here.
I plan to make a cake tomorrow, yeah I know only back today but I have been without cake for over a month lol, anyway plan to flavour the sponge with cherry mmmmmm and then make a white choc ganache, then play with cricut icon_wink.gif
Question how much oil do you add to say make an 8" sponge mixture?

Thanks

14 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 2 May 2010 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 15

I usually use a whole dram for a recipe. However, I like to add a little, smell it, add a little more.....I do this every time and still usually use the whole thing. HTH!

jayne1873 Posted 2 May 2010 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 15

How much is a dram?

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 2 May 2010 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 15

I'm so sorry to burst your bubble on this one, but you can't bake with LorAnn oils. I tried it and it tasted horrible! I asked the girls at my meeting (Canadian Cake Decorator's Guild) and they told me to only use those LorAnn oils in icing, not to bake with it. The good news though: you could use cherry flavoured Jello and it will turn out great!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 15

I think you should try again with a different flavor or amount because you definitely can use them to bake with. I use them exclusively in my recipes (Key Lime, Pina Colada, Strawberry and Peach are my favorite!!) I bake by scratch and use them instead of or in addition to extracts, depending on my recipe. Have fun...I LOVE experimenting with the different flavors!

P.s. I use a dram to replace a tsp. of flavoring.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 2 May 2010 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 15

Well, I'm sorry I gave you the wrong info. then. I wonder what I did wrong. The cake tasted horrible! I was using a cake mix and I put in the LorAnn Strawberry flavour. And when I told everyone in my group about it, they all looked at me like I was an idiot and said "don't you know, you can't bake with that stuff" and they all agreed - there was about 10 people there too. I'll have to try it again then. Let us know how it goes. :0)

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 2 May 2010 , 11:49pm
post #7 of 15

I used the lorann cherry to make an 8" "chocolate covered cherry cake"...I used the whole dram...WRONG...It was soooo strong, it tasted like a cherry lifesaver candy....next time I will only use about 1/3 of the bottle. I do use other flavors in my cakes all of the time.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:34am
post #8 of 15

That's what I must have done wrong then, I think I used the whole dram too. Next time I'll just try a 1/3 of it too!

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:07am
post #9 of 15

I use between 3/4 teaspoon to a little bit more than a teaspoon and it adds just the right amount of extra flavor to my cake. I use the Lemon flavor to a lemon cake mix.

The stuff is very concentrated so start out slowly and then taste your batter. You will get a good idea if you need to add more. I once tried to taste it straight and my tongue went numb icon_cry.gif It's really strong stuff.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:12am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

I'm so sorry to burst your bubble on this one, but you can't bake with LorAnn oils. I tried it and it tasted horrible! I asked the girls at my meeting (Canadian Cake Decorator's Guild) and they told me to only use those LorAnn oils in icing, not to bake with it. The good news though: you could use cherry flavoured Jello and it will turn out great!

The LorAnnOils website has gourmet recipes which includes (but is not limited to) cake, cookies and other desserts made with their flavored oils:

https://www.lorannoils.com/c-168-pies-cakes-and-muffins.aspx

And IMHO, baking with Jello results in an overly sweet cake. I much prefer to use any good extract or flavoring over Jello gelatin. But if you must; reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe by the amount of Jello used.

HTH

jayne1873 Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:18am
post #11 of 15

Thanks for the replies and the link, will give it a try and see what happens icon_smile.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:17am
post #12 of 15

I use the oils all the time about a little cap full or so.

I LOVE THEM !!! icon_biggrin.gif

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 15

I agree that it really does depend on the flavor. I LOVE the orange creamsicle and do use the whole bottle for that cake but as much as I love the lime...oh baby! a DROP is enough with that one! Good luck icon_smile.gif

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:36am
post #14 of 15

great thread! I'm going to be making cake balls soon, chocolate mint. How much peppermint oil would you add to the cake before baking? I want it to taste kind of like a girl scout cookie... mmm!

Thanks! Maria

LorAnnOils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorAnnOils Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 4:41pm
post #15 of 15

I just want to clear up any confusion about baking with our super strength flavors (candy oils).  YES, you CAN bake with them!  Just remember that these flavors are very concentrated - about 3 to 4 times stronger than typical baking extract flavors.  We recommend using 1/4 teaspoon per cup of butter or shortening.  As we like to say, "A little goes a long way".  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%