Wedding And Groom Cake Disaster...

Decorating By cakedog1 Updated 1 Oct 2014 , 8:52am by cakebaby2

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:51am
post #91 of 104

I rule that you are not a butthead. We all have had our bumps and made our mistakes. Just dust yourself off and keep going... but don't send out any more faxes/emails/letters till you run them by us or someone you respect in business; it didn't help your situation.... and no more debasing yourself. I mean it!! judge.gif

cakedog1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedog1 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:57am
post #92 of 104

Or Yes Maam.. They say Yeeeeezum here in the south, lol! I sent the letter this morning and am just getting back on here tonight. I didn't mean to "not" listen to all your advice (I had sent it before I posted) and I will post pictures of the cakes the driver took although you can't really see the cakes.

Thanks all...

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:48am
post #93 of 104

Not to be disrespectful, but with all the money your losing, I'm surprised you're still in business..And why aren't you listening to anyone's advice in the past 7 pages??!

You seriously need to stop worrying about what she thinks of you and about the 'bad rep' you're going to get from her; if you ask me they are gonna be laughing at you all the way to the bank..Do you want that? I'd be more concerned with that image.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:41am
post #94 of 104

I just looked through your www it clearly states there is a 50% non-refundable deposit. So, if you're going to give her anything back it would be based on the other 50%....hopefully, you had that stated in the contract as well.

but...

From the bride's pov, and enlisting some of your previous statements, at least two of the cakes had issues...the guitar, and the wedding cake...more than just the topper...one tier didn't have the expected filling (berry cream cheese?). From looking at your homepage and at least one online listing for your business, I would expect near perfection from cakes ordered from you. You are using stock photos (forgive me, if these in fact belong to you) and photos of cakes created by others (forgive me if these in fact belong to you...there are numerous CCers who have aliasses(spelling is a joke)).

I don't believe the employees should be held responsible for this incident...if they were recently employed by your for this particular weekend, their abilities couldn't have been proven worthy enough to hold such responsibilities as completing a wedding cake (while you only worked on the hat?)...this would definitely not hold true if you knew the employees' abilities before they were employees of course.

You may wish to change the photos you're using to ones that represent cakes you've done so that your customers would have a better idea of your work...whether you'd gotten permission to use them or purchased the photos for use...or at least put a disclaimer on them stating they weren't done by you. Slight misrepresentation there.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:48pm
post #95 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristieb11

Personally, I think the letter is way too wordy and sounds like you're admitting to pretty much everything she's complaining about. I feel like there are too many details included. Something straight to the point would be more professional, and would leave less of a "grey" area if she decides to pursue this further.

IMHO

I agree, I wouldn't send that!! ...didn't know you'd sent it already when I posted this. Oops. Either way, sounds like you already told her in the letter that you'd be refunding her for it, by asking her when you could start payments, then admitted to everything and more being wrong with the cakes and told her all about others that you'd messed up and that you hadn't even done the cakes yourself. I'm not sure you'd be able to get out of refunding her after this letter, if there was any chance of it before.

cakedog1 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #96 of 104

Thanks so much..

cakedog1 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:54pm
post #97 of 104

Thanks so much..

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #98 of 104

I was peeking at the site and noticed a point for clarification (unrelated to this thread) - on your general info page it says payment is due 2 weeks before and then it says 14 working days in the same breath. 14 working days is really like 3 weeks. Just thought you may want to reword icon_smile.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:41pm
post #99 of 104

I haven't had time to read this whole thread so this may have already been asked but have any other people involved with this wedding received hysterical, crying phone calls from this bride? As in, "(boo hoo hoo) The photos you took were to dark." or "The main course was undercooked. (sob)"

I personally can't see being that hysterical because the color was a little off or the topper was not placed dead center. It sounds like she's running a scam to me...

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:33pm
post #100 of 104

Another thought-I am sure you are feeling beaten up by now, but this will help you in the future. You gave her a LOT of info about the financial state of your business. Whether or not you can make rent and pay employees is not her problem. And it is also something you never want a client to know about. If it's hard for you to pay the people you hired, then that is your problem for not budgeting correctly or spending beyond your means. It has nothing to do with whether or not this girl deserves a refund.
Just a thought for the future-keep your cards close to your chest type of thing. icon_smile.gif
Don't worry, though. This too shall pass and will just be a distant cringe worthy memory. We all have them.

DreamInCake11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamInCake11 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:22pm
post #101 of 104

Have you posted the pics of the cakes yet? I'm still curious and would like to see them.

ale122809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ale122809 Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 8:09pm
post #102 of 104

AThis is so old but I too was hoping she would have posted the pics. =/

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 12:25am
post #103 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by ale122809 

This is so old but I too was hoping she would have posted the pics. =/

Considering her blog hasn't been updated since 2009, and her website is non-functional, I doubt she's in business anymore.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 8:52am
post #104 of 104

Well that's half an hour out of my life I wont get back! It was depressing anyway reading all the holy willies who want to give refunds without proof of disaster.

God bless K8, and the breath of sanity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%