How I Make The "rainbowlicious" Cake

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 12 Dec 2014 , 2:07pm by leeann34

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:55am
post #61 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I've had so many requests for instructions on this multi-colored cake, I figured I'd post it once and for all! icon_smile.gif

I use the WASC recipe but I use all vanilla and replace half the water with vanilla coffee creamer and add a pkg of white chocolate pudding. Perhaps that is why there is no bitter taste with the amount of food coloring I use?

I evenly distribute the batter among 6 bowls. Using a butter knife, I scoop a good-sized glob of Wilton color and stir it in (I really prefer Wilton over --I'm probably the odd one out).
Oh, for the red use "Red-red" NOT "No-taste red" (red-red is deeper and you can use less).

You have to think ahead about how high you want the tier...

I like to use two layers of filling so I used to put two colors together per pan: purple/blue, green/yellow, orange/red. But if you fill the pans with a typical amount of batter you'll get a very tall cake, so I was trying to fill my pans less than half-full, spreading thin layers of batter. It's much easier to do just one filling: Use 3 colors per pan.

HOWEVER... I've recently decided to start using a 3" tall pan and layering all 6 colors and just torting it in two places - it would be SO much simpler.

I finally had the chance to slice into one when I had just enough leftover batter to fill one pan with all 6 colors -- it looked great! I don't think it's going to matter where the colors get separated when I torte it, I'll just wait to add color to the filling when I see which colors have been sliced!

(I use vanilla Bettercreme mixed with cheesecake pudding mix for the filling, coloring it to match the torte).

Take care when layering the colors so they don't blend. I spread the first color over the bottom of the pan, then with the consecutive colors I pour the batter in a thin stream, circling it over the previous color so that I don't need to spread the batter too much with a spoon.

Hope that wasn't too confusing!

I do mine this same way...it's popular for the younger kids. They are always surprised when the cake is cut...I love to watch for their reaction.
icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:11pm
post #62 of 76

Thank you MacsMom for posting this. I can't wait to try it. I have 3 little ones myself and I'm sure they will go crazy over this!

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #63 of 76

To those of you who do the "tie-dye" effect: do you mix up all six colors or just the primary colors and let them blend to create orange, green and purple?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:07pm
post #64 of 76

I wouldn't think they would blend brightly enough to produce orange, green and purple. And they don't really self-blend; you'd have to mix them together a little anyway...

I'm going to make 3 pumpkin-shaped cakes with the rainbow colors, but rather than layering them in a ball pan I'm just going to randomly drop in spoonfuls. I'll post pics when it's sliced, as it is for my daughter's birthday this Halloween.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:02am
post #65 of 76

Macsmom--I'll be watching for your post. Thanks a bunch!

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:00am
post #66 of 76

Thank you!!

Vylette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vylette Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:22am
post #67 of 76

that looks awwwwwwwwesome!
I love rainbow cakes thumbs_up.gif

gin2ham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gin2ham Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 12:33pm
post #68 of 76

Hi everyone, I know this is an old post but I just have a quick question, is the vanilla coffee creamer the FRENCH vanilla coffee mate? Sorry for the silly question, just wanted to make sure. Thanks a lot!

MacsMom Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:01pm
post #69 of 76

Any vanilla will do. icon_smile.gif

gin2ham Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:12pm
post #70 of 76

Thank you MacsMom for the response!! Can I use soymilk in vanilla flavor as alternative?? thanks again!!!

MacsMom Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:53pm
post #71 of 76

I don't see why not. I've used all sorts of different things for the liquid portion of my cakes and they always seem to turn out fine. One thing, though, is the check the sugar content: If it is high in sugar, then reduce the sugar in your recipe or the cake is likely to sink.

gin2ham Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 8:17pm
post #72 of 76

Thanks so much!! I might just stick with the creamer to be on the safer side! thanks so much!! I am excited to make this cake! I hope it turns out as nice as yours!

Martina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Martina Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:57pm
post #73 of 76

Thank you so much!

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 6:22am
post #74 of 76

MacsMom: This may be a stupid question (I know this thread is very old) but are you leveling the cakes or taking off the top & bottom crust so that the colors of each 2-layer cake are touching each other? Does that make sense, because I don't see any crust between every 2 layers?

crazygrammie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazygrammie Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 11:24pm
post #75 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie4

MacsMom: This may be a stupid question (I know this thread is very old) but are you leveling the cakes or taking off the top & bottom crust so that the colors of each 2-layer cake are touching each other? Does that make sense, because I don't see any crust between every 2 layers?

curious to answer to last post...

leeann34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leeann34 Posted 12 Dec 2014 , 2:07pm
post #76 of 76

ASaving

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%