Foam Core Board

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 25 Sep 2014 , 4:13pm by schnulie

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 21

Hi I have heard lots about foam core is this used on the very bottom of a stacked cake? and if so can it be doubled to give the cake more height? and what would you cover it in? i thought about using satin and making it billow around it then putting a plexy glass on top of the satin, Give me some suggestions also she wants a 3 stacked cake i thought of 12/10/8 will this be to small looking to set on a round table?? i hate the thought of doing a 14/12/10 She is planning on 300 but she feels around 250 may show
Thanks all

20 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 21

If she is asking for a cake for 250, why are you even considering a 12/10/8????? That would only be for 90 ppl (using Earlene's servings). And the 14/12/10 would only be about 140. Are you going to have sheet cakes or satellites? I did an anniversary cake for 250 (it's in my photos) and it was a 14/12/10 w/(4) 10" satelites.

Sorry I was no help on the foam board question icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

If she is asking for a cake for 250, why are you even considering a 12/10/8????? That would only be for 90 ppl (using Earlene's servings). And the 14/12/10 would only be about 140. Are you going to have sheet cakes or satellites? I did an anniversary cake for 250 (it's in my photos) and it was a 14/12/10 w/(4) 10" satelites.

Sorry I was no help on the foam board question icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Yes im doing extra cakes, So i will have enough of servings im also doing a grooms cake 12x12 i use the Wilton servings

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 21

Gotcha!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 21

I have been using foamcore on most of my cakes recently. I wait until HL has it for 1/2 price and stock up. I use the 1/4" for the cake boards covered with Cake foil and then the 1/2" for the base boards. My most recent favorite look is the circle or oval covered upside down with Mylar wrapping paper. I have a Logan Circle/Oval cutter that cuts them on a bevel so wrap without cutting the slots, just let it fall in pleats and use that for the top of the board.
LL

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 21

Yes, foamcore board is great for cake base boards!
Depending on the size of the cake, I will double or triple it.
Sometimes you can even find double-thick foam core at Micheal's.

If using a foamcore boards under each tier, you can leave them as is, or I cover the top and bottom with a circle of white contact paper.

Use your pans as a guide to draw the circles on the board, and remember to use a very sharp x-acto/utility knife to make a clean cut.

HTH

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 21

dynee, what is the circle/ oval cutter you mentioned? Where did you buy it?

cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynee

I have been using foamcore on most of my cakes recently. I wait until HL has it for 1/2 price and stock up. I use the 1/4" for the cake boards covered with Cake foil and then the 1/2" for the base boards. My most recent favorite look is the circle or oval covered upside down with Mylar wrapping paper. I have a Logan Circle/Oval cutter that cuts them on a bevel so wrap without cutting the slots, just let it fall in pleats and use that for the top of the board.

That looks awesome, it looks pleated is it?? i dont have the cutter what else could i do to acheive that look? Thanks for your help

dynee Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 21

The bevel just adds a little kick. You could do the same thing with a plain straight sided circle or oval. I did a large circle using dark purple mylar and it is georgous. Just be sure to cut it large enough that about 2 1/2-3" show out from under the cake board. I make sure the Mylar is a good generous 5-6" larger than the circle. The Mylar is thin enough that the folds don't add any extra thickness. I use cheap packaging tape I got at the Dollar Store cut into 1" strips and attach in 4 places across from each other and then work in quadrants. I have my tape cut ahead and gather up about 4-5 folds, hold with my left hand and tape with my right. Hope this helps. If you don't have the 1/2" foamcore, just use two layers and double it up.

dynee Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 21

TYTY- The mat cutter was just being in the right place. I got mine at Hobby Lobby in the discount section. It was marked down to $32.38 from $89.95. It is Logan Oval&Circle mat Cutter Model 201. It takes a little practice but when you get the hang of it is a breeze. It doesn't cut cleanly through the half inch board, but does well enough. Sometimes I have to help with a regular X-Acto.

cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:26pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:

The bevel just adds a little kick. You could do the same thing with a plain straight sided circle or oval. I did a large circle using dark purple mylar and it is georgous. Just be sure to cut it large enough that about 2 1/2-3" show out from under the cake board. I make sure the Mylar is a good generous 5-6" larger than the circle. The Mylar is thin enough that the folds don't add any extra thickness. I use cheap packaging tape I got at the Dollar Store cut into 1" strips and attach in 4 places across from each other and then work in quadrants. I have my tape cut ahead and gather up about 4-5 folds, hold with my left hand and tape with my right. Hope this helps. If you don't have the 1/2" foamcore, just use two layers and double it up.

Where can i buy Mylar?? and is this what it is called?? Sorry for so many questions

dynee Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:37pm
post #12 of 21

Mylar is a super shiny plastic wrapping paper. It shows up in stores in different colors around Christmas time. That Silver under the castle has snowflakes on it left over from Christmas but they don't show due to the pleats. I have since found only limited colors at the Card Factory. I am always on the hunt for more. The larger package I recently got is called Foil Tissue and comes in 20x30" sheets.

cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:

Mylar is a super shiny plastic wrapping paper. It shows up in stores in different colors around Christmas time. That Silver under the castle has snowflakes on it left over from Christmas but they don't show due to the pleats. I have since found only limited colors at the Card Factory. I am always on the hunt for more. The larger package I recently got is called Foil Tissue and comes in 20x30" sheets.

I think i know what it is now, i will check out if its paper and see what they have sometimes The dollar tree may have it Thanks a bunch i will see what i can find this weekend and have a great weekend

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 21

Thanks dynee.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:17pm
post #15 of 21

Here's a link where you can purchase foil tissue
http://www.partycelebration.com/Metallic_Sheets_s/517.htm

dynee Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:20pm
post #16 of 21

TIGGY2,
Thanks for the website. They have so many colors. Can't wait to try it.

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:32pm
post #17 of 21

I have been covering the 1/2 inch foam core board with fondant. Even doing some designs on it with cut outs etc.

Then put the ribbon around the edge of the board.

dynee Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 2:42pm
post #18 of 21

tiggy2,
That was a great website, but when I went to order, there is a $50 minimum and being a hobby baker, I wouldn't be able to meet that. I'll keep looking. Thanks anyway.

schnulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnulie Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 2:19pm
post #19 of 21

AWhat is HL?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 2:44pm
post #20 of 21

Hobby Lobby

schnulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnulie Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 4:13pm
post #21 of 21

AOh! Thanks! I should have figured that one out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%