First Try At A Vegan Chocolate Cake And This Is It....

Decorating By PennySue Updated 18 Sep 2014 , 4:00pm by camomama5

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:39am
post #1 of 13

My DIL's god-daughter's (twins) 16th birthday is this month. One is vegan and one is vegetarian. I wanted to find a good recipe for a vegan chocolate cake for them as a suprise. They lost their Mom this year to cancer and it's been tough for them. Anyway, I found this cake online, did a bit of adjusting to guarantee it being moist and...wow! It is really good. Even my DH loved it and said it was wonderful. If anyone is interested, I do up the recipe.
LL

12 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:27am
post #2 of 13

Uh Huh! That looks so tasty.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:30am
post #3 of 13

Oh yes, I would love the recipe if you don't mind. I've had some requests, that up untill now I have refused. Do you think it would hold up to carving or 3D cakes?

PennySue Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:57am
post #4 of 13

I've not done carving so I'm not familiar with the texture that might be needed. This is a soft but tight textured cake so it just might do. I'll get the recipe on this thread tomorrow!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:40am
post #5 of 13

Oh yeah, that looks very delectable. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

PennySue Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 13

Here it is.

Vegan Chocolate Cake
INGREDIENTS
Makes 6 cups
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract + 2 tsp organic chocolate extract
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
2 cups water

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla and flavoring, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth but don't over mix.
Pour into prepared pans and bake at 325 degrees F for 60 minutes. Check after 40 minutes. For cupcakes, check after 15 or 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack.
Torte layers (if you want to) or just the layers and brush cut sides with Simple Syrup.
Fill and top with chocolate frosting. Nuke the frosting for the top so it pours like a ganache.
Symple Syrup - 1 to 1 ratio of sugar and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Add flavorings such as vanilla or chocolate extract. Brush on warm or cooled.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 13

Thank you very much, will try out with a small batch first to see, how it holds up. Very generous of you to share your recipe, I really appreciate it a lot

PennySue Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:06am
post #8 of 13

You are most welcome! Let me know how you like it. Oh, it is even better the next day.
PSue

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:14am
post #9 of 13

Thank you! Your cake looks delicious. Would you mind sharing the recipe for the icing you used? Thanks!

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:25am
post #10 of 13

Your cake does look very inviting!!
And, thanks for sharing your recipe, always handy for future reference

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:42am
post #11 of 13

happy to have this recipe . . . maybe you could download it on the recipe tab so that it can be easily found by members in the future (long after this thread is not easily found) . . . in any case, thanx for sharing I'm sure it will be happily used by many thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:45am
post #12 of 13

Thank you so much for sharing!

I often have requests for vegan cakes, but have not found a recipe that holds up, until now!

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 4:00pm
post #13 of 13

AThank you PennySue! These ingred. (All but one) are ngredients we regularly use. Not much extra cost. How about the icing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%