Satin Ice Fondant Vs. Wilton Or Mmf

Decorating By melysa Updated 29 Oct 2014 , 6:53pm by Italianrose

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 5:27pm
post #31 of 51

The only time I had that problem was when I used store brand pwd sugar so I don't use it any longer. Try sifting your pwd sugar.

Debbie

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 5:30pm
post #32 of 51

So if you could afford to buy Satin Ice, you'd choose it over any other fondant any day, is that right?

catscratchfever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catscratchfever Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 5:48pm
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

So if you could afford to buy Satin Ice, you'd choose it over any other fondant any day, is that right?

I wouldn't, I'd choose MMF. Satin Ice doesn't perform well enough to be worth the price in my experience.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 5:48pm
post #34 of 51

I've used Wilton's ready-to-use fondant, the SatinIce fondant and the Pettinice fondant. Haven't tried MMF yet.
I started with Wilton's and still prefer it. The SatinIce definitely tasted better and the Pettinice was very similar to the SatinIce in consistency. I recently began experimenting with the Wilton fondant by adding strawberry, lemon and vanilla flavorings - just 1-2 drops per batch! Maybe it's because Wilton's is the one I started with, but I just can't seem to get a handle on the others icon_rolleyes.gif
I also had the "elephant skin" problem with the SatinIce that was previously mentioned. However, it was very humid here that particular day or I don't think I would have had any problems with it. Do have better luck with all of the fondants if rolled thin.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 9:04pm
post #35 of 51

I would definitely use FondX again. You can buy it online at www.caljavaonline.com. I love that it can be refrigerated once it's on a cake. (I've heard that about Satin Ice, too, but I don't know for sure since I haven't tried it).

I bought a 10 pound bucket of FondX for about $40 (including shipping). With that I covered the green & white 14-10-6 round stacked cake in my photos, and the pale blue 8-inch square with the bow. I had about a pound left over after that. I think that's pretty reasonable.

I like marshmallow fondant, but I have a hard time getting consistent results with it and I don't like the finish as much as that of commercial fondants. I will still use it from time to time, though.

I think liking fondant or not is really a matter of whether or not you're willing to chew your icing. icon_smile.gif Some people are really turned off by that. I don't think there's any fondant that absolutely everyone will like because there are some people who will never like fondant at all.

On the other hand, I've never known anyone who likes Wilton fondant. Not one person. Even my young daughter spit it out, and she'll eat anything sweet!

shawmonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawmonica Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 9:25pm
post #36 of 51

Has anyone ever used the Rolled Buttercream fondant? I found the recipe on baking911 I think. I have even seen it used on a Midday news show here in KY. I haven't tried it, just wondered if any of you had.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 10:14pm
post #37 of 51

Come to think of it, my absolute favorite fondant is Colette Peters' recipe. It has such a pretty, porcelain finish and hides any flaws in a cake (flaws? What flaws?).

Taste-wise, it's average--just sweet. I think I like MMF's taste a little better.

It is time-consuming to make and a lot of work to knead. You get quite an arm workout making this stuff!

I can't find my copy of Colette's Cakes at the moment, otherwise I'd post the recipe. I'll look for it more later today.

Sharolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sharolo Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 10:29pm
post #38 of 51

You would think that since absolutely NOBODY seems to like the taste of Wilton's fondant that they would attempt to fix it! Don't they know it tastes bad? Let's start a petition or something icon_wink.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 5:46am
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyPJ

On the other hand, I've never known anyone who likes Wilton fondant. Not one person. Even my young daughter spit it out, and she'll eat anything sweet!

my two year old whines for it when he sees me using it...every time i think, 'for sure he'll spit it out', but nope. he chews it up and says again, "iwon wun" (thats i want one in toddler talk).

anyway, i gave in and drove 40 miles today to the supply store and bought the 20 lb bucket of satin ice for $85 plus tax. i tasted some awhile ago, and YUM! i DO like it better than mmf- so did my husband. and it rolls out so soft and smooth and thin. love it already. i just may have to increase the amount i charge for a fondant cake from now on because i have been won over.

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 9:17pm
post #40 of 51

I just realized, after finding this on Google, that this post is 3yrs old.

I want to try Satin Ice. They have it on fondant source. com for $49/20lbs. What does everyone charge for fondant icing to their customers? I charge $1 addtl per serving. Seems like that would def cover the cost (rather than my time with MMF) of using a more expensive fondant. thumbs_up.gificon_redface.gif

SillySallys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SillySallys Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:38am
post #41 of 51

Tittop57 - Can you please share what your non-messy and consistent way/ recipe is for MMF?? Thank you

shaibaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaibaer Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 2:27am
post #42 of 51

My opinion is that once you factor in the time it takes me to make MMF and clean up after it, that it is equal in "price" to Satin Ice or Fondx. But I suppose that's just me. I hate that I never have consistent results with my MMF (I once almost had a nervous breakdown over MMF! lol.... it took making FOUR batches to get a usable batch for a cake)

magpie14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magpie14 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 10:26pm
post #43 of 51

I've been making mmf for a few years now and usually have good results. Lately my mmf has turned out "spongey" and it looks almost like there are hundreds of little bubbles. This happened again last week and I think it may have been due in part to humidity. Does anyone else have a problem like this with their mmf?

KeShaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeShaJo Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 10:54pm
post #44 of 51

Fondx is better in my opinion...Satin Ice gets dry and cracks...even though it's the industry leader, I prefer Fondx, not only because it has more elasticity but it has that marshmallow taste. We won't even begin to complain about Wilton's version of fondant or shall I say rubbermade fondant.

CakelynsFinest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelynsFinest Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:34am
post #45 of 51

I love Satin Ice but hate the price! I make MMF and mix it with the Satin Ice so I could get more without paying for another tub. You should sift your powdered sugar before adding it to the melted marshmallow to prevent the crystals.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 2:09am
post #46 of 51

I like SatinIce a lot, especially the newish buttercream flavor. I also use PettinIce but find it to be much softer than SatinIce. Both taste good.

sweetsoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsoul Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 1:04am
post #47 of 51

Satin Ice has a wonderful taste to it but since i make cakes so much it is cheaper on my pocket to use MMF fondant. I found if you are using colored fondant color the marshmellows after they are melted and before you add the powered sugar. It keep a vibrant color that way and still taste good. I like to add extracts to mine to give it a different taste so MMF is my fav.

JennRunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennRunn Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 4:26am
post #48 of 51

AYou can get Satin Ice in buttercream, chocolate or vanilla flavor.....

Retha1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Retha1 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 4:20am
post #49 of 51

could someone explain to me what exactly MMF is?  This i my first day on this site and I am trying to understand.  

Letty38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letty38 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 6:40am
post #50 of 51

AHi Retha :) MMF is Marshmallow Fondant.

Italianrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Italianrose Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 6:53pm
post #51 of 51

Satin Ice is the best period!  It rolls out very smooth and it has a very delicate look. It is so easy to use, that is why it is Patented!  You cannot duplicate it.  You can buy a 2.2lb container to try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%