Wafer Paper Vs Frosting Sheets

Decorating By southaustingirl Updated 28 Aug 2015 , 12:20am by topperoo

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 11

The wafer paper sold by Kopy Kake is a lot cheaper than the frosting sheets. Has anyone used wafer paper for edible images? If so, did you like it?

What are the pros/cons to using wafer paper for edible images?

10 replies
SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:44am
post #2 of 11

In my experience wafer paper is way harder to use then frosting sheets. It is a lot more fragile, it's harder to get it off the backing and breaks so easily. I can hold frosting sheets with one hand after I've taken them off the backing but wafer paper will break. One advantage to the wafer paper though is that it is so fine that it really looks more delicate and thin, for butterfly wings and stuff.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:53am
post #3 of 11

I've not run into breakage with wafer paper. It prints nicely too. The only problem I've run into that I don't have with frosting sheets is sometimes the wafer paper doesn't want to adhere to the surface of the cake.

Both will crack if left exposed to air too long. Wafer paper is great for practicing a technique or playing with a design...use frosting sheets for final project if applied to cake surface.

Wafer paper, as stated by PP, is thinner and seemingly more delicate...great for wings, feathers, pages...things of that sort. I use both...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:59am
post #4 of 11

depending on your printer used, you can have major trouble w/wafer paper! icon_sad.gif
We had two printers and one of them would not accept wf - it just gummed up the rollers - really bad - what a messicon_sad.gif
Now some people getten the two items mixed up. They think they are one in the same BUT THEY ARE NOT. Please be aware of the two a nd what the differences are between them. Wafer paper does not come on a backing. Only frosting sheets do.
Wafer paper is very similar to the Host used in the Catholic church for holy communion. It melts on your tounge. HTH

all4cake Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:09am
post #5 of 11

I haven't experienced trouble with either papers on the Epson. That is what I was calling wafer paper...no backing, one side textured, one side smooth.

There were two different thicknesses of paperbacked sheets...
kopykake puts out a really nice one...it's the thicker of the two.

there is a gelatin type sheet that lucks prints their images on...it cracks easily ...you look at it cockeyed and it'll tear.

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:19am
post #6 of 11

the gelatin sheet from kopy kake is the one I was talking about that is on a backing and breaks all the time, which I was told was wafer paper, so thank you for clearing that up for me, I didn't know!

all4cake Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:27am
post #7 of 11

I didn't know KopyKake sold those...the thinner ones, that is

I know they carry the thicker ones...I like them...but, if you leave them out or the zipper ain't zipped back, they will dry out and become brittle.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:17am
post #8 of 11

thanks for all thr tips and advice!!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 4:31am
post #10 of 11

Wafer paper is a potato based paper that works well at room temperature.  It will hold its shape and it is lighter.  There are different thicknesses available, however most companies that sell and most people that buy it don't know this.Wafer paper works well in very humid climates.  The wafer paper is great for intricate designs with Food safe die cutting systems like the Sweet Accents.  Most wafer paper doesn't taste that great and so it does not complicate your sugar piece.  It can be printed on, it doesn't have a backing.  Recently Icing Images came out with a new genre of wafer paper. It is thin, tastes like vanilla and comes colored as well as white.

Icing Sheets are more expensive then most wafer papers, but they are designed for cakes.  They taste good and more pliable.  Icing Sheets can go in and out of the refrigerator, freezer and work great at room temperature.  While they are more expensive then wafer paper, it is the better choice when laying on a cake.  Icing Images also carrys the icing sheets in colors and with lusters and they also have a great vanilla taste.

topperoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topperoo Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 12:20am
post #11 of 11

Just to build on this- as Debbie alluded to, it really depends on the purpose!

We actually did a comparison in one of our recent blog posts which looks at the texture, printed appearance, application, taste & price of the two types:

http://topperoo.com/blog/wafer-paper-or-icing-sheets-comparison/

I hope it helps you.

James

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%