Checkerboard Cake Favorites

Baking By lainee Updated 11 Sep 2014 , 5:04pm by fraggle17

lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 1:47am
post #1 of 22

I just used my checkerboard cake pan for the first time today. I made a chocolate and peanut butter checkerboard cake, with peanut butter cream filling and chocolate frosting. It tastes really, really, good, but now that I'm on a roll I would like to see what some of your favorite flavor combos are to put together in the checkerboard fashion, so I can try some other things. I found a recipe for chocolate cherry, and I think I saved one for chocolate almond. What about non-chocolate combos? Any ideas you have would be appreciated.

TIA

Lainee

21 replies
coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 3:26am
post #2 of 22

I have only made chocolate an yellow. I found the pan was kind of a pain and have not been really motivate to do anotehr one.
- but I will give you a bump - and maybe get some inspirtion along the way.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 3:35am
post #3 of 22

My favorite is Fresh Orange and Chocolate with Chocolate frosting with orange flavoring in the frosting. The ones I've been thinking about trying, but haven't gotten around to yet are: Lemon/Orange, White Chocolate/Red Velvet, French Vanilla/Strawberry.

lainee Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 4:36am
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake

I have only made chocolate an yellow. I found the pan was kind of a pain and have not been really motivate to do anotehr one.
- but I will give you a bump - and maybe get some inspirtion along the way.

I understand what you mean about it being a pain. I liked the way it turned out though, one of my batters was a little thinner than the other so my squares did not turn out perfect. If I get tired of using it, I think I will still use some of the flavor combos, but just do it in layers. I've never thought to do that before, but if it tastes good in checks it should taste as good in layers, just may not be as pretty. Thanks for the bump

IM1RN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IM1RN Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 22

Does anyone have the original instructions that come with the Chicago Metallic Checkerboard Cake set?

lainee Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffysma

My favorite is Fresh Orange and Chocolate with Chocolate frosting with orange flavoring in the frosting. The ones I've been thinking about trying, but haven't gotten around to yet are: Lemon/Orange, White Chocolate/Red Velvet, French Vanilla/Strawberry.

Thank you for the suggestions. I was/am running a blank trying to come up with some good flavor combinations. I would love to try the fresh orange and chocolate.

Tiffysma Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 22

That chocolate/peanut butter one sounds really good too!! Unfortunately, my DH doesn't like peanut butter flavored stuff. I bet the grandkids would like that one though!

My checkerboard pan has the divider for all three layers, making it much easier. They also "snap" to the sides, so they don't move around while you're filling. I've seen those with 1 divider that you remove and use for the next, etc. That does seem like a pain. Which kind do you have?

lainee Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:

That chocolate/peanut butter one sounds really good too!! Unfortunately, my DH doesn't like peanut butter flavored stuff. I bet the grandkids would like that one though!

My checkerboard pan has the divider for all three layers, making it much easier. They also "snap" to the sides, so they don't move around while you're filling. I've seen those with 1 divider that you remove and use for the next, etc. That does seem like a pain. Which kind do you have?

Tiffysma,

I wish I did have the snap on dividers. I have the Wilton pans. You get 3 pans and 1 divider. What brand are yours?

For the peanut butter cake, I used The Cake Mix Doctor's recipe, (I ran into trouble because this batter was thinner than my chocolate batter. It ran a little and my squares didn't turn out sharp, but it still looks impressive to other people so I won't worry about it. LOL) For the filling I modified a peanut butter frosting recipe I found in my Good Housekeeping cookbook. The cake turned out very decadent. I think it's a keeper.

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 22

chocolate and strawberry - with fresh strawberry filling and a chocolate ganache, decorated with chocolate covered strawberries. thumbs_up.gif

Tiffysma Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 11:34pm
post #10 of 22

Oh, Good!! I see you have Cake Mix Doctor too. That make this much easier, since I don't have a real recipe. I've been trying to PM and keep getting "knocked off" and losing everything.

I got my checkerboard pan at The Kitchen Collection. It is their brand. They have the kitchen stores at outlet malls. I think I paid about $8 for it. Very pleased with it. The pans are heavy and I love having the 3 dividers.

Tiffysma Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 22

I've had a time getting this to submit, so I'm breaking it down into 2 parts.

For the Orange Cake:
I started out with the Fresh Orange Cake (from CMD pg 79-80) using DH yellow mix with half a box cheescake Instant Pudding, a fourth cup sour cream and a fourth cup oil, one TBS orange zest - the rest like the recipe.

The chocolate part was DH Swiss Chocolate Mix with half a box chocolate Pudding, a fourth cup sour cream, fourth cup oil, two squares melted semi-sweet chocolate, four eggs, half a cup buttermilk and half cup water.

The water in the chocolate mix and the sour cream in the orange mix helped make them more of the same conisistency - although the chocolate was still thicker.

I used was a cream cheese/buttercream frosting, using melted semi-sweet chocolate and using orange extract and orange juice instead of milk for the liquid.

I had some batter left, so I "marbled" it and made cupcakes. They were good too!

Hope this is clear. Let me know if you have questions.

lainee Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkopossum

chocolate and strawberry - with fresh strawberry filling and a chocolate ganache, decorated with chocolate covered strawberries. thumbs_up.gif

That sounds delicious. Thanks for posting

lainee Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 12:04am
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RN

Does anyone have the original instructions that come with the Chicago Metallic Checkerboard Cake set?

Sorry, I have the Wilton pan set, but it has instructions and a recipe on the back. If your interested let me know and I'll post it.

IM1RN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IM1RN Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 2:56am
post #14 of 22

Yes, please post your instructions from Wilton! I imagine they'd be the same except the metal vs plastic insert. Anyway, I have my cake in the oven as I write!!! I did it with a white box cake and used red food coloring for about a third of the batter. It'll be done in a few minutes. I'll put canned cherry filling between the layers. The checkers are dark pink and white. By the time I hear from you I'll be able to tell you how it turns out! Thanks a bunch!

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 1:56pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkopossum

That sounds delicious. Thanks for posting

np lainee icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 5:31pm
post #16 of 22

Well all of this talk has got me motivated - I think I will dust off my pans and divider and try the orange chocolate for father's day!

lainee Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 5:34pm
post #17 of 22

Has anyone tried the champagne flavored cake? I keep threatening to try it, but haven't followed through on it yet. I was thinking maybe the champagne cake with strawberry cake to make a checkerboard might be good.

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 5:53pm
post #18 of 22

I just bought one yesterday, so I haven't tried any yet. But I always thought that it would be cool for a baby shower to do pink and blue! Just a thought to pass on.

Can't wait to use mine!

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 8:29pm
post #19 of 22

I like Hazelnut cake/Chocolate cake with Nutella filling and chocolate Hazelnut Ganache.

Lemon cake/white Almond cake

Irish cream cake/Chocolate cake

Raspberry Cake/ Mild Lemon cake

lainee Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 10:25pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie

I like Hazelnut cake/Chocolate cake with Nutella filling and chocolate Hazelnut Ganache.

Lemon cake/white Almond cake

Irish cream cake/Chocolate cake

Raspberry Cake/ Mild Lemon cake

Those sound absolutely fabulous. I will have to make a "to do" list and try out some of the great combinations you have listed. Ones, I never would have thought of. Thanks Freddie for sharing. Would you mind sharing your recipe for the Hazelnut cake and the Irish cream cake.

TIA

Lainee

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 2:55am
post #21 of 22
Quote:

I got my checkerboard pan at The Kitchen Collection. It is their brand. They have the kitchen stores at outlet malls. I think I paid about $8 for it. Very pleased with it. The pans are heavy and I love having the 3 dividers.

Oooh! $8, what a deal. I live right down the street from the Outlet Mall, I guess I am going to have to run down there and pick up one of those pans!

The raspberry/lemon combo sounds delicous!

fraggle17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fraggle17 Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 5:04pm
post #22 of 22

AI made a white chocolate & raspberry checkerboard cake for a baby shower , came out well, though took a lot of batter. I've got a coconut & chocolate one to make soon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%