Pricing For Chocolate Covered Strawberries??

Business By sugartopped Updated 20 Jan 2015 , 1:20pm by RachelRay83

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 20

Hello, got a quick question.....someone is ordering a strawberry shortcake bday cake and would like to order chocolate covered strawberries also. The cake will serve 36-40 and she isn't sure if she wants 30-40 strawberries or 40-50 strawberries. I told her w/the cake she should probably go with 30-40 strawberries. But she wants to make sure she has enough...so I think she will end up going with 40-50 strawberries!!

But anyway, I've never done these before (for sale)...so not sure what to charge. I priced strawberries at wal-mart and it is 2 sm contatiners for $5. I'm not sure how many come in a container though....I'm guessing around 8-10 strawberries per container.

I've never bought them from around here...so I'm not sure what they go for in my area. But I gave her a guess and told her probably $4-$5 per dozen?? Does this sound about right?? I don't mind going a bit higher...but would also like to take into account she is ordering a cake from me also.

Any suggestions??
Thanks in Advance
Christine

19 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 20

I have seen them as low as $7/doz and as high as $25/doz. $5/dozen will barely cover your costs, never mind the time it takes to do it. I would not do them for less than $8/doz but would more likely charge $10 or more.

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 20

No less than $1 each. ever. Unless it's over a certain amount.

Time travelling to the store, gas, etc. all cost you. Those aren't freebies.

The price break for me comes starting at 3 dozen. Then it's only a bit off.

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 20

Godiva charges $4.00 a strawberry for the big ones and $2.00 for the small..
So I would kinda judge from that! Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 20

I would say anywhere between .75 cents and 1.00 ea. for choc. dipped strawberries...and 1.00-1.25 each for tuxedos

sugartopped Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 20

ok, wow....that's a big difference!!! I'll have to sit down and see what I'm going to do. I just got back from walmart and it must have been a special the other day b/c the price of strawberries went up.

Thanks, guys!!

candygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candygirl Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 20

I charge $1 per strawberry, $1.25 if they are tuxedos. They are approx .25 each and when you factor in chocolate, time, boxes, etc. you are barely making profit.

If you look anywhere online, they are at least $2 per.

Cakeman66 Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 20

what people have to take into account is the online stores, especially bigger names, are mass producing these things. They have a lot more people to pay and a lot more bills to pay. They can get this kind of money, because they are Godiva or whatever. Personally, I'm not a Godiva fan. And i'm certainly not Godiva, so I can't charge $2-$4 per berry. I think even $1 each is low, but that's not a big part of my chocolate business. I am already melting chocolate for other things, so it's not like I'm going out of my way to only make a few dozen berries.

I just got some HUGE sweet berries today, maybe 12-20 in each container. $2.29 per crate. If I was making covered berries with the huge ones MAYBE $1.50 each. That's a hefty profit.

Most people who eat chocolate, don't know the difference between good chocolate and cheap stuff. They don't know the difference between $10+ a pound chocolate and $2.50 a pound chocolate.

There are a bunch of things to factor into making covered berries.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 20

I am right there with ya cakeman...Not a godiva fan at ALL...Maybe I am not sophisticated enough...I prefer ghiradelli sp* and actually have a weakness for dove..lol.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 20

OMG my cousin told me that she was craving chocolate covered strawberries and went to the mall at some "high priced" chocolate shop.. She payed 4.00 for 2 very small ones.. I was like " what the Hell".. You should came to me I would have sold you a strawberry for 2 bucks!!!!

Cakeman66 Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 20

Well, someone gave me a sampler pack from See's and told me it was "high end stuff". I'm a chocolate/candy maker. Mine's nowhere near "high end stuff" but it's better than See's.

I used to love Chocolate a lot more, before I started wotking with it. It's a good thing that I've learned not to eat so much now. I'd really be in trouble. I've used the "Belgian" chocolate that's $10+ a pound and the only reason was that my boss at the time was (still is) French, and he believed it was the best in the world, he doesn't like sweets btw.

My mix for my company is something that I "developed" because I believe it tastes great the way I put it together. It's three different qualities of chocolate. It costs me a lot of money to make them, but it's what my customers like and buy, so I won't complain at all.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 11:28pm
post #12 of 20

Christine:
If you have a farmers market or the like near you I would check it out. It might just be my area Walmart, but I never have much luck with their strawberries. I can usually get a big container of strawberries(about 20-22) for about $4.00. It all depends on your area also.
I charge $15/dozen for chocolate strawberries & $20/dozen for tuxedo or wedding dress ones

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 11:36pm
post #13 of 20

Whatever you decide to charge; probably better to charge per pound of strawberries than per individual strawberry. Size varies; but weight doesn't. I can't give you advice on exactly how much to charge; because I way underprice myself (don't even ask! lol)...I'm watching this thread because I too need to set a fair price.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:21am
post #14 of 20

This is how I give my prices for strawberries. I would rather not get a sale than sell them for less than this. It is just not worth my time to do it for less. The way I see it if they want me to do it "That is what I charge". I have too many other things I can do to make money than to make things for less than it is worth to me.

$15 per dozen Feb-June, $20 July-Jan
Dipped once:
Milk or White Chocolate

Then add per each choice of extra coatings
$1.00 per doz
Double Dipped/Drizzled
Coconut
Sprinkles  
Non Pareils
Mini Choco Chips
Mini Candy Coated Chocolate

$2.00 per doz
Pecans
Pistachios
Almond slices/slivers
or any other nut prefered

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:56am
post #15 of 20

The Godiva stores here in Central Ohio charge $7. per strawberry. icon_eek.gif

I agree on the no less than $1. each. Trying to price by the pound is too difficult to keep track of (IMO)

daisysn2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisysn2001 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 8:58am
post #16 of 20

I just sold these for valentines day and charged $25/dozen 3 times I got handed $40 and told that I was way undercharging. I did package them pretty but even at $25/dozen I was coming out way ahead. Maybe I just got lucky but I would say definetly don't sell yourself short on pricing. I have seen them as high as $80/dozen on line. Good luck.

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 1:11pm
post #17 of 20

WOW! I'm going into the $80/dozen chocolate dipped strawberry biz. icon_wink.gif I can't imagine. LOL

I say charge by the pound because at least in my experience around here; strawberry sizes are varying all the time. I never know what size I'm gonna get! I'd spend too much time trying to find the perfect sizes! LOL (And I might have to eat the ones that didn't fit the bill. icon_wink.gif )

But if I charged by pound I'd probably also only sell by pound; in increments starting at 1 pound and going then to 2, 3, 4, etc. This would make charging by the pound actually quite easy to keep up with; if you buy in the 1 lb. or 2 pound containers like I do.

sugartopped Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 2:51pm
post #18 of 20

well I don't want everyone to think I wasn't listening or didn't take their adivce (b/c I did ask)....but i ended up charging her $1 per strawberry, so $12 per doz. she ordered 3 dz......I think that is going to be too low....but I don't live in a 'high' priced area and I'm just not sure about the market for chocolate dipped strawberries here yet. I'll need to do more research!! I'm sure after I do this order I'll get a better idea of how much I should go up!! Plus I'm going to check around here and see who offers them and how much they go for.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

camelia1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camelia1977 Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 8:29pm
post #19 of 20

A[ATTACHMENT=1994]IMG_20141103_123546.jpg (409k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]I was just wondering the same thing how much to charge for covered berries and I also would like to ask a question how much do you think I should charge for a cake like this I paid almost 30$ to make it and it's homemade chocolate cake and frosting

RachelRay83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelRay83 Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 1:20pm
post #20 of 20

i sell mines for $12 a dozen, extra designs or details is more 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%