I found this recipe on the Wilton website. It looked beautiful on the cake I saw. This frosting is made in two parts and they should not be combined until each part is completed.
Whipped Cream Buttercream Frosting
- Part One
- 1 lb. powdered sugar (sifted)
- 2 1/2 cups Crisco
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 TBSP. Meringue powder (add 1 additional TBSP for slight crusting)
- 1/2 cup BOILING water (less 2 TBSP)
- 1 TBSP Vanilla (or flavor of your choice)
- Part one… put crisco in bowl and gradually add powdered sugar. Beat about 5 minutes until mixture is very creamy and fluffy. Set this aside.
- Part two… In a very clean bowl mix dry ingredients. Add BOILING water and immediately mix on high speed. Beat until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes. When mixture begins to get stiff add flavoring.
- NOW combine both mixtures and beat together for another 8 minutes. When finished, use a rubber spatula to down beat a little to remove some of the air bubbles. Frosting will be very light and creamy. Cover. DO NOT REFRIGERATE.
- The frosting may be kept at room temperature for 3 months. Whip with a spoon each time you use it to restore fluffiness.