After 6 different orange cake recipe rejects, I finally hit on the right one for my daughter Beth’s wedding cake. It is a variation of the cake mix extender recipe found here on CC. It’s the first time I’ve played around with a recipe and made it my own sort to speak. Hope you all like it.
Beth’s Wedding Orange Cake
- I used the cake mix extender recipe as the base:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- 1 box of butter cake mix
- All the ingredients on the back of the cake mix box, except substitute orange juice for the water.
- Zest of 1 small to med. size grapefruit ( yes grapefruit )
- Mix the above ingredients per package directions
- Once the above is mixed, add:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp LorAnn orange oil.
- Mix together thoroughly. Fold into pans (this batch of recipe will fill 3 9 inch round) and bake at 325 till done, time depends on size pans used as you can use different sizes without difficulty..
- I filled the layers with marmalade buttercream consisting of 1 part marmalade to 2 parts buttercream icing.
Not going to go there!!