Posted by LenoreThis icing has been in the family for years. Almost every cake I had as a child was topped with this icing thus it is my favorite. I enjoy it best on a devils food cake with the icing flavored with almond. It is a whipped cream icing recipe however my family called it ?wedding cake icing?. I have tried several whipped cream icing recipes to see if I could find one that I liked better. This one wins each time when taking both texture and flavor into consideration. It does take time to prepare with a moderate level of difficulty but is well worth the effort. My mom always made it a family effort and the children loved making it. When we were older, she had the boyfriends in on it as well! Enjoy!
Whipped Icing III
- 1 cup WHOLE milk 4 tbsp Robin Hood all-purpose flour 1 cup SUPERFINE sugar 1 cup soften SALTED butter 1 tsp McCormick vanilla or almond extract
- STEP 1
- Using a small size pot, add the flour to the whole milk, while stirring with a wire wisk.
- Heat the mixture on low, stirring CONSTANTLY with a wire wisk, until thickened to the consistency of a heavy gravy. The low temp and constant stirring prevents lumps from forming which will result in a lumpy icing.
- Place COVERED pot in the refrigerator until mixture is cool. Do not cool too long as mixture will develop a thick skin which will make the icing lumpy!
- STEP 2
- Cream the butter and sugar together until very smooth. It will take forever if you use regular sugar instead of superfine.
- Mix in the almond or vanilla.
- STEP 3
- Add the milk/flour mixture to the sugar/butter mixture one tablespoon at a time. Allow each addition to mix thoroughly before adding the next. Mix until light and fluffy.