Posted by anamadoThis is by far, my favorite cake. Though I took it from a Portuguese book, the author referred it as being an old English Victorian recipe. The recipe is not in cups. Very moist but firm. Better the day after.
Victorian Chocolate Cake
- 200g of chocolate (take a piece for the topping, like 40g) 100g flour 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional but better) 250g sugar 125g butter 6 eggs
- I start by heating the oven and putting inside a bowl with the butter and chocolate. Then I beat the egg whites until picks are formed and let them aside.
- Beat very well the yolks with sugar, then mix the melted butter and chocolate. Once it's all very well mixed, fold in egg whites and flour.
- Not very hot oven (160ºC / 325ºF ), until the stick comes out clean.
- Take it from the pan and spread on top the rest of the chocolate melted with a table spoon of butter.
- Very moist but firm. Better the day after.