Posted by newlywedwsI saw this lovely cake in a magazine and thought it sounded yummy and thought others might want to try it. The cake is meant to be cooked in a 6" pan...so you may want to double the amount if you want a bigger cake.
Vermont Maple Pecan Cake
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour 1/4 cup sugar 1/4 cup packed brown sugar 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup buttermilk 1/4 cup butter, melted 3 tablespoons maple syrup 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted GLAZED PECANS: 3 tablespoons light corn syrup 1/3 cup pecan halves FROSTING: 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened 3 tablespoons butter, softened 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon maple syrup 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking soda and salt. Combine the buttermilk, butter, syrup and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in chopped pecans.
- Pour into two 6-in. round baking pans coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, bring corn syrup to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in pecan halves until coated. Place in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- For frosting, in a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and syrup until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with second layer; frost top and sides of cake. Garnish with glazed pecans. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.