Posted by Anonymous
This is the version of SMBC that I came up with. it uses less butter than most and is very light and tastes great. You can pipe with it and make flowers if you are patient. It takes flavorings well too.
The Well Dressed Cake Swiss Meringue Buttercream with variations
12 oz (3 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp
5 egg whites
8 oz (1 cup) granulated sugar
2 TBSP real vanilla extract
- Place the egg whites and the sugar in a clean mixer bowl, and place it over a pot of simmering water, whisking occasionally until it registers 160 degrees.
- Put it on the stand mixer and whip it with the whisk on medium high until it is reaches the stiff peak stage.
- While the meringue is beating, cut up the butter into tbsp sized pieces.
- When meringue is room temperature, switch to the paddle attachment, turn on low, and slowly add the butter.
- Add vanilla.
- Turn on medium high and let it rip until you have a lovely silky buttercream. You will hear a slapping sound when it's ready.
I will preface this by saying that I normally do this to taste so amounts are approximate. You may find it takes more or a little less to achieve the desired effect. You want to be sure that you don't add too much so add them slowly and taste.
add about 1/3 cup of sweetened seedless berry puree at the very end
add about 1/3 cup of melted chocolate (I like semi-sweet) that has been cooled but still pour-able at the very end. If it was too warm and the BC melts down a bit.. just let it keep beating and it will come back together.
add 1/3 cup of a citrus curd - lemon or orange or lime (and a little zest if you want that extra punch) at the very end.
add 1/2 tsp peppermint extract and 1/4 cup of crushed peppermint candies. (great in a chocolate cake!)
The options are endless. Just have fun!