Posted by boonenatiI came up with this recipe on the weekend. My work colleagues loved them, and my husband didn't. I suppose that liking them or not, depends on wether you like strawberries and cream. Please dont use butter with this recipe, if you can't get dairy free margarine, use any margarine, the butter wouldn't allow them to be so light and fluffy.
Strawberry Delight Cupcakes by Nati
- Cupcakes 150gms margarine (I use dairy free Nuttelex) 300gms castor sugar 3 large eggs at room temperature 250mls soy milk (I use So Good Essentials) 360 gms self raising flour Strawberry Topping/ Strawberry Whipped Cream 280gms of fresh strawberries 200gms castor sugar 70mls water 300mls thickened/heavy cream(for whipping)
- Topping - MUST BE MADE FIRST
- 1. Wash and hull strawberries, chop into small pieces with a knife or a food processor, don't blend, you want some texture.
- 2. Put strawberries, water and sugar (200gms) in a pan, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely, before continuing.
- Cupcakes - TOPPING MUST BE MADE FIRST
- 1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- 2. Cream margarine and sugar (300gms), must be light and fluffy.
- 3. Add eggs beating well after each addition.
- 4. Beat in flour alternating with the soy milk.
- 5. Pour batter into patty pans (I use a muffin/texas size pan and get 16 cupcakes from this recipe)
- 6. Divide strawberry topping in half. Put half aside and use other half to spoon one tablespoon or so on top of each cupcake, using a skewer, lightly mix it in to the batter, you dont want it to be completely mixed in.
- 7. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes till done, please check after about 20 minutes, as you dont want them to be over done, or they'll be dry.
- 8. Allow to cool before putting topping on.
- Strawberry Whipped Cream
- Without the icing, these cupcakes are dairy free. You may choose to just pour the rest of the topping on the cupcakes after they're cooked. I made a strawberry whipped cream to top them with.
- 1. Whip cream, fold in remainig topping, at this stage, the cream will become runny again, continue to whip until you reach the desired consistency.
- 2. Spoon or pipe over cupcakes.
- 3. Enjoy!!!