Posted by scopey
- 150g (5oz) unsalted butter 1 1/2 cups (185g/6oz)self raising flour 1/4cup (30g/1oz)cornflour 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 3/4cup(185g/6oz)caster sugar 3 eggs lightly beaten 1 teaspoon vanilla essence 1/4cup(60ml/2floz)orange juice 1/4cup(60ml/2floz)milk extra ground cinnamon, optional to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180C(350f/gas 4)
- Lightly grease a 20 cm (8inch) square cake tin and line with baking paper. grease the paper. In a small saucepan stir the butter over low heat until melted. Continue to heat the butter until it turns golden brown. This should take abouit 6 minutes. Skim the fat solids from the surface. Remove from heat.
- Sift the flours and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and stir. Place the eggs, vanilla essence, juice, milk and the browned butter in aseparate bowl and stiruntil well combined. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the egg mixture in. Using electric mixers beat the mixture on low speed for 3 minutes or until just moistened. Beat on high for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is free of lumpsand increased in volume.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.Remove from the oven and leave the cake in the tin for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely