Posted by sgilmerI came up with this recipe with a lot of help from this site. I really wanted a spice cake extender recipe that didn't use pumpkin or carrots. I found a post that someone used apple cider in their spice cake mix instead of water, not sure who it was. I also found a cream cheese icing on this site that I edited some. I hope you like it as much as I did!
Spice Cake Extender with Cream Cheese icing
- Cake: 1 box spice cake mix 1 cup flour 1 cup sugar 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice 1 teaspoon baking powder 2 packs (1 serving each) apple cider mix 1 1/3 cup boiling water 1/3 cup oil 4 eggs 1 cup sour cream Icing: 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter 1 cup (1 8 oz package) cream cheese 1/2 cup shortening 2 lbs (8 cups) powdered sugar (sifted) 1 small package cheesecake pudding mix 1/2 cup milk (maybe a little more) 1 teaspoon clear vanilla
- Take butter and cream cheese out of refrigerator to soften.
- Preaheat oven to 350.
- Grease desired pans or place cupcake liners in a cupcake pan.
- Dissolve apple cider mix in the boiling water. Sift cake mix, flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and baking powder. Add oil, eggs, sour cream, and apple cider mix to sifted ingredients. Beat until well combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat 1 more minute. Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake as long as the box says for the corresponding pans. Once they are done, remove from pans onto a wire rack. Cool.
- Mix cheesecake pudding mix and milk. Cream butter, cream cheese, and shortening until smooth. Add powdered sugar about a cup at a time until combined. Add the pudding and vanilla. Scrape sides of the bowl. Beat a little longer. If the icing is too thick, add more milk, a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until desired thickness. this cake has 9 cups of sugar in it, not including the cake mix. DON'T EAT THIS IF YOU'RE ON A DIET!