Posted by HemaI am in the midst of trying and testing out cakes in order to put together my favourite and most reliable recipes when my friend gave me this one. It's just so dark, moist, and delicious. Into my favourites it goes!
Seductive Chocolate Cake
- Ingredients 200g dark chocolate, about 60% cocoa solids 200g butter, cut in pieces 1 tbsp instant coffee granules (mixed in 125ml cold water) 85g self-raising flour 85g plain flour 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of soda 200g light muscovado sugar 200g golden caster sugar 25g Cocoa Powder 3 medium eggs 75ml Buttermilk To make the ganache 200g dark chocolate, about 60% cocoa solids, as above 284ml double cream, (pouring type) 2 tbsp golden caster sugar Chocolate curls for deco
- 1. Butter a 20cm round cake tin (7.5cm deep) and line the base. Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas 3.
- 2. Break the chocolate in pieces into a medium, heavy-based pan. Put in the butter and coffee into the pan. Warm through over a low heat just until everything is melted ? do not overheat.
- 3. Mix both the flours, bicarbonate of soda, both the sugars and cocoa in a big bowl, mixing with your fingers to get rid of any lumps. Beat the eggs in a bowl and stir in the buttermilk.
- 4. Now pour the melted chocolate mixture and the egg mixture into the flour mixture, stirring just until everything is well blended and you have a smooth, quite runny consistency. There is no need to use the cake beater.
- 5. Pour this into the prepared tin, tap it on the counter a few times to break the air bubbles and bake for 1 hour 25 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes ? the skewer should come out clean when inserted and the top should feel firm (don?t worry if it cracks a bit). Leave to cool in the tin , then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 6. When the cake is cold, cut it horizontally into two or three.
- 7. To make the ganache:Chop the chocolate into small pieces and put it into a bowl. Pour the cream into a pan together with the sugar and stir till it almost boils. Remove from heat and pour it over the chocolate and stir till the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- 8. Sandwich the layers together with the ganache and pour the rest over the cake letting it flow down the sides. Smooth it with a palette knife. Decorate with grated chocolate or chocolate curls. The cake keeps moist and gooey for 3-4 days.