Posted by PerryStCakesThis is a very delicious moist fluffy cake. The taste is somewhere between a chocolate cake and a butter cake and it is irresistible. The Red Velvet one of the most popular cakes I make - people just love it.
Red Velvet - PerryStCakes
- ¼ Cup red food coloring (must be the liquid supermarket variety) 2 Tbs. + ½ tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder 1 tsp. vanilla extract ½ Cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened 1 ½ Cup sugar 2 large eggs, at room temperature 2 ¼ Cups cake flour 1 Cup buttermilk 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar (get in any supermarket) 1 tsp. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 9x2 round cake pans and line with wax paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the food coloring, cocoa power, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric hand-held mixer, cream the butter. Add the sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Give it a good beating ? about 5 minutes (remember that at this stage, it?s almost impossible to over-beat). Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add in the flour, a bit at a time, alternating with the buttermilk, beating well after each addition ? begin and end with the flour, though. Add salt.
- Beat in the cocoa mixture (scrape any remains into batter) until it is well incorporated.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar and baking soda. Add to the batter at the end and mix it in well.
- Divide the batter into the pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pans for about 10 minutes on the cooling rack. Remove from pans and let them cool completely on the wire racks.