Posted by FrecklepussNeeded to make Red Velvet Cupcakes for a benefit on a budget as I was donating 200 cupcakes. After doing a little bit of research on line I figured I would try it with ingredients I had on hand. Basic WASC recipe with a few added touches. Not only are they red.. they were moist and delicious!
|1||White or vanilla Betty Crocker Cake mix|
|1 cup||white flour|
|1 cup||sour cream|
|1 cup||water or milk (non dairy or dairy)|
|1 tblsp||balsamic vinegar|
|2 tblsp||vegetable oil|
|1- 1oz bottle||Wilton ``No taste`` red food colouring paste|
|2 - 3 tblsp||cocoa powder|
Directions1. Put all ingredients EXCEPT cocoa powder in to the bowl of your electric mixer.
2. Mix on low for 30 seconds then switch to medium hight for approximately 1 minute until ingredients are incorporated. Scrape bowl with rubber spatula
3. Add 1 tblsp cocoa at a time. I only used 2 but mine was a deep rich cocoa. Next time I would try 3 tblsp just to see if it gave an even richer chocolate flavour.
4. Mix on medium high speed for another minute
5. Fill cupcake liners approx. 3/4 full. I had large liners and used 1 large ice cream scoop per cupcake so when baked they reached the top of the liner. I had a few extra large liners and used about 1 1/2 scoops. Made 34 cupcakes
6. Top with cream cheese frosting as follows:
2 packages cream cheese, at room temperature
2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter (salted or unsalted.. whatever you have on hand), at room temperature
1 pound (4 cups) icing sugar
2-3 tblsp heavy cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp pure almond extract
Combine all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Switch to the whisk attachment, and mix until smooth and slightly fluffy.
Voila.. easy Red Velvet Cupcakes