Posted by prterrellNote: this is a recipe that I developed; please credit me when sharing with others! Thanks, Promise Whitley
Promise's Red Velvet Cake
- Ingredients: 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temp ½ cup Crisco 1 and ½ cups granulated white sugar 3 large eggs, room temp 1 envelope Dream Whip 1 and ½ cups buttermilk, room temp 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 ounce (1 tablespoon) red food color 2 and ½ cups cake flour (I use Swan?s Down) ¼ cup cocoa powder (I use Hershey?s) 1 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons baking soda 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream butter and shortening, then add sugar and beat until light and fluffy
- Beat in eggs, one at a time
- Beat in Dream Whip, buttermilk, vanilla extract and food coloring
- Over wax paper, sift together flour, salt and cocoa
- Add flour mixture slowly to the wet ingredient and bet to combine
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar, stirring until baking soda dissolves then add to batter
- and beat the batter on high for 3 minutes.
- For an 8 or 9 inch round cake, divide between 3 prepared pans (I use Pam with Flour)
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, check for doneness with toothpick
- Cool for 10 minutes in pans then turn out on wire racks and cool completely before frosting
- Ice with Cream Cheese Frosting or Flour Frosting.
- Garnish sides with either flake coconut or toasted chopped pecans